Ready to make a change but don’t know where to start? Odyssey by UPMC can help you on your journey to better health. With Odyssey, you can develop healthy habits that will lead to lasting change, whether you want to lose weight, quit smoking, reduce your stress, eat better, or become more physically active. You can chat with your virtual health coach, unlock activities that can help you succeed, and build your habitat in this free app that feels like a game.
Why you should download the Odyssey app:
- Odyssey was developed by doctors. The app’s methods and techniques are based on decades of research. If you do your part, Odyssey can help you see results!
- While most apps address a single desired behavioral change, Odyssey offers five healthy lifestyle programs: nutrition, weight management, stress, smoking cessation, and physical activity.
- You’ll receive a reminder four times a day to check in and rate your current state. Based on your answers, Odyssey may send an encouraging message or a tip. And you don’t have to wait for a reminder—you can check in as often as you’d like! You’ll find that these 20-second updates are effective at helping you stay on track.
- If you use your Apple device to track your physical activity, Odyssey will connect with the Apple Health app, so you can easily sync your data.
- The Odyssey app is packed with tools to help you view your daily trends, avoid setbacks, and develop healthy habits that last.
- Your virtual health coach will offer personalized tips to help you stay motivated.
- UPMC Health Plan takes your privacy seriously. We have safeguards and policies in place to keep your personal information secure and confidential.
Odyssey by UPMC is a free app that is only available to UPMC Health Plan members. Not a member? You can learn more at www.upmchealthplan.com.
-Follow-up check-ins no longer expire 30 minutes after their notification
-Fixed a bug where the cached step/minute count was being reset at the start-of-day time instead of at midnight
-Fixed a bug where Odyssey was sometimes not retrieving the guest’s step count from Apple Health
-Added another UI prompt after the guest is prompted to give Odyssey access to their Apple Health step data so that their very first check-in should pull the correct step value
-When tracking steps with iPhone and Apple Watch, Odyssey may report inflated step counts
Ratings and Reviews
Maybe I expected too much?
As a tech savvy mom of 3, I think I expected too much out of an app. I figured this app would be able to track calories, give real feedback for recipes, suggest exercise, etc. Instead, I got a virtual trainer (major eyeroll, so unrealistic) and told to download a different app to track calories. Moving through the modules felt childish. If you have no idea how weight gain happens, what a calorie is, or how to avoid pitfalls during weight loss- it may not be childish. Having to check-in 4 times a day, with the same question being asked of you? Pointless. But, if you are looking for an all in one app that will help you track calories, suggest recipes/exercise this isn’t the app for you. Sorry, UPMC. I expected better.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback! We’re sorry to hear that the app didn’t meet your expectations. We’re always looking to improve our app experience and we’d like to connect with you about your experience with the weight management program. Please email us at Odysseyapp@upmc.edu and we’ll reach out to you shortly.
I’ve had a problem with losing weight, this is helping to keep me motivated and get past the downs when I mess up.
The only problem I have with the app is that the notification sound is too short and easy to miss. I wish it would let me change the sound and make it persistent (even just persistent would help)
To developer: no, according to Apple you have not activated those options in the app.
Developer Response ,
We’re happy to hear that Odyssey has been keeping you motivated and is helping to keep you on track! You may be able to change your phone settings to adjust the notification alerts on your device. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Needs some work
I think the concept is good but found a few issues:
1. No easy way to see how many times I have already checked in for the day.
2. Sometimes when I do a checkin it tells me to retake an assessment but I have not figured out how to do that! And I looked all over the app.
3. Sometimes the app icon will show a badge indicating a notification of something. But when I open the app there is no info of what I need to do. Am I to do a checkin a weighin or something else.
4. It would be nice to have a status page with what I have completed, how many checkins I have done that day. When is my next weighin date.
5. The content is good. It would be nice to have a summary page for each section and each world to make it easy to go back and review.
Developer Response ,
Hi Helen! Thanks so much for your feedback! You are able to see your check-in charts over time to see when you typically have low or high confidence days. We value the other feedback you provided and will take this into consideration for future enhancements. We are always trying to improve the Odyssey experience and it's through valuable feedback, like yours, that we're able to do so. Thank you again!
- UPMC Health Plan, Inc.
- 205.3 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2017 UPMC Health Plan
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.