Offline Topo Maps
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Offline Topo Maps (OTM) is a simpler version of our full-featured backcountry app, Gaia GPS.
OTM is the best simple topo app on the App Store, with the best maps, and the best support. Get in touch with the six+ hikers that develop OTM at firstname.lastname@example.org
* download maps of the entire world
- USGS topo maps and aerial imagery
- OpenStreetMap-based topo and road maps of the world
- USGS topos for Alaska and NRCan topos for Canada
- highest resolution USGS topos on the App Store
* fast, functional, stable, and easy-to-use for even novice hikers
* mark waypoints and get guidance to and from places
* use metric, imperial, or nautical units
* display coordinates in Decimal, UTM, MGRS, DMS, or Decimal Minutes
* fully auto-rotatable for widescreen maps and other views
Warning: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 6.3.1
If you love Offline Topo Maps, help spread the word by leaving a review. Your review will also show fresh, when you rate a new update.
If you notice a problem with Offline Topo Maps, contact email@example.com. We don't have a way to reply if you leave a review about an issue.
● for legacy users with Gaia GPS in-app upgrade, fixed a bug where app would crash when saving a route
I've been seeing this app get unjustly downvoted because certain users are plainly ignorant of what this is for. OTM will not hold your hand. This is not an app for an amateur city person on a weekend stroll, someone who needs 24/7 mobile data. I know it's hard for some people to believe, but your phone is not God, and doesn't work everywhere.
For the skilled adventurer in remote locations, however, this are as good as it gets. There are a wide variety of maps, and more if you upgrade to Gaia GPS. They download easily, but yes, can be HUGE, so use dsl/cable. Once you've downloaded the areas at the resolution you've selected, OTM comes VERY much in handy.
The map maker could improve things by making the interface clearer, and making the maps on device a bit easier to negotiate.
Also, this app used to have Mapquest roadmaps; when Mapquest recently ended their 3rd party service, this was quietly eliminated. Current roadmap options don't cut it. I feel for the devs in this issue. But some heads up for when map servers are cut would be nice, as would a roadmap which has some decent terrain relief and clarity.
Look, kids, for the price, this can't be beat. No subscription nonsense, no clutter, no bloated fees for map packs like other apps... just lots and lots and LOTS of topo maps for jaunts to just about anywhere. That's the deal.
Love it, have request
Love love love the app, does just what I need in so many ways. I like to find "old things" and the ability to turn on older versions of topo data makes this app fun to use for that purpose. It does everything I want, and nothing I don't want!
Request: a better way to manage data stored by the app. Probably apple's fault, but when I try to reduce the amount of stored panels, iOS doesn't reflect the freed up space in settings usage info.
A map maker's go-to app!
There are a lot of map apps out there, have tried several. This is the only one I keep on my phone. The topos are a bit dated, which is to be expected for a free app. When you are hiking, camping, hunting, or otherwise in areas with no cell service, this app will help get you back to civilization....or at least know how far away civilization is. I can think of a lot of map making related reasons to have this app, but the safety aspect of it is a really big reason to have it as well.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Oct 19, 2016
- Version: 6.3.1
- Size: 48.1 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Trailbehind, INC.
- © 2009-2016 Trailbehind, inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Upgrade to Gaia GPS$9.99
- Gaia Pro Subscription$19.99