The Open Road Race Timer is designed for high speed automobile racing on closed highways. The race objective is to travel a course of known length at a set rate of speed. That combination of speed and distance translates into a target time to reach the finish line.
There are separate screens for the Navigator where conditions can be set and for the Driver where progress measured against the ideal time can be presented for a heads-up display.
Your starting time will also be assigned as some minute or half minute after the hour in which the race begins. Set the conditions of speed, distance and compute the time in the app Setup and let the app count down to the start of your race.
If the computed time is not identical to the official time down to the ten thousandths of a second, touch the "Distance" button to activate the plus and minus below the time to make fine adjustments. Time is the most critical variable for displays and computations.
The clock will countdown to an automatic start. You may wish to synchronize your app's clock to the offical race clock before you start.
Alternatively, you may show a Start Now button on the main screen by chosing the option on a switch in Settings and use this button to initiate the start. Caution, however, the automatic countdown timed start is much more precise and reliable than any human could possibly be.
Speeds can be set at 5 mph increments from 60 to 160 miles per hour. Typically, offroad races run one way over the closed course and then teams turn around and reverse the course for another run. In this app, you can set the distance between 5.0000 and 120.0000 miles for a single run. Shorter distances and slower speeds can be used for practice at paces less likely to produce speeding tickets.
GPS inputs trace the path along the rally route. Measurements of actual versus ideal time and distance will be shown in seconds ahead or behind schedule. From time to time you may also record time and distance covered an the error against the ideal course time and distance by touching the Add Split button. Also, you may set automatic split computations at increments of 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes and 5 minutes.
You may fine-tune the app's distance and time figures to the rally's official measures with the options in the Adjust popup. Unlock to make adjustments and lock to save the changes you make and to prevent inadvertent changes.
An adjustment factor between 0.9000 and 1.1000 can be used to synchronize distance measured by GPS to race distance. This adjustment applies to all distance measurements shown after the adjustment has been selected so adjustments can be made while racing.
If the app's Time of Day (T.O.D.) clock shown at the bottom of the map view does not match the rally's official clock, you may synchronize the two clocks by making small adjustments as required.
App Settings allow you to change the display of Time, Speed, and Distance as well as permitting the display of Time error to be in whole numbers or decimals.
Disclaimer: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- Location Services must be turned on to use the app regardless of whether the GPS signal comes from Apple's internal receiver or a third-party receiver like the Dual 150 or Dual 160. Also, Bluetooth must be turned on to use the Dual GPS receivers.
- So, to remind you that the GPS signals must be gathered, processed, and settled down before leaving the starting line, the app now defaults to showing the GPS information view superimposed over the map.
- Several GUI changes/improvements to both the main view and the Driver's popup view, most notably the addition of up and down arrows where red indicates that you are ahead of the target pace and green indicates that you are behind the target pace and should speed up.
- Settings of Time, Speed, and Distance will persist after having been set, but notice that the starting time does not persist. So, if you go back and forth between the setup view and the main view, the time to start may change. Be careful to set the correct starting time.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome road race app
I love this app. I just wish I had the millisecond update 2 weeks ago :)
- Michael YOUNG
- 2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- Copyright © 2016 Michael S. Young
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.