Study Cal - Student Planner and Organizer
By Nicholas Doherty
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Study Cal helps you manage your classes, organize your assignments, and track your grades. With Study Cal, your entire academic life is simplified, and you’ll always feel ahead.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
• Add semesters (or quarters, trimesters, etc) and track your GPA. You can specify custom GPA scales on a per-class basis.
• Add classes, instructors, notes, and grades. You can specify custom grading scales and custom assignment types on a per-class basis. Study Cal fully supports both point and percent based grading systems.
• Add assignments, multiple reminders, and repeat schedules. Study Cal fully supports both weekly and block based scheduling.
• Add notes, and attach multiple photos to your notes. You can also attach notes to assignments.
HOW IT KEEPS YOU ORGANIZED
• When viewing an upcoming assignment, you’ll be told exactly what grade you need to either achieve the next letter grade in the class, or maintain your current one. For example, if you have a 88% in a class, Study Cal might say something like “You need a 93% on this assignment to achieve an A in the class”. Both point and percent based grading systems are supported.
• When viewing a grade, you’ll see exactly how much it counts towards your final grade in the class.
• Study Cal presents you with a full screen weekly and daily calendar, so you’ll always know when, and how long, upcoming events are relative to one another.
• Study Cal syncs automatically with iCloud, so your schedule is always up to date on all of your devices. Best of all, you don’t need to set anything up.
• See a detailed graph of your grade history on a per-class basis.
• Track completed assignments, organized by the date you completed them.
• Search all of your assignments by name, class, type, or note.
• On iOS 8, Study Cal has a notification center widget that displays the week's events. You can mark events complete right from notification center, or tap one to launch Study Cal right into an event!
• Get morning and/or evening digest notifications. A morning digest notification is a single sentence summary about the day’s upcoming events. An evening digest notification tells about the next day’s events. Digest notifications are configurable by days of the week and time.
• Study Cal is gesture driven. Swipe to quickly complete assignments.
• Optimized for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
What's New in Version 3.1
Optimized for iOS 8 and the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus!
+ Study Cal has been optimized for the new screen sizes of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. This is most noticeable in the weekly calendar view, where you can now view an additional weekday before having to scroll! There's a lot more room for assignments, classes, and grades, so staying organized is easier than ever!
+ On iOS 8, Study Cal has a new "today view" notification center widget that displays the week's events. You can mark events complete right from notification center, or tap one to launch Study Cal right into an event!
Some other small things:
- When exporting notes or events with image attachments, the images themselves will be pasted into the email.
- Many bug fixes and stability improvements!
No more having to "calculate" my own grades at the end of the semester. This is perfect for me because I work over 40 hours a week and take 19 hours of classes.. I don't have time to be perfect on everything. This week I had 4 exams, for example. This app helps me "shoot for the 90" so I'm not working any harder than I have to, and I'm not left wondering what's due each day! For the hard worker who may be in over his head, this app helps me get under control and motivated! The app did start to crash a few times when I tried to enter grades, so please please please fix it before it gets worse... It has a few bugs. I'm not sure if it counts extra credit properly, I have 102% total possible in one class but it may have weighted it down to 100%, it's not very clear. I feel like once you complete an assignment it should allow you to add a grade when you select it. Other than that, I love the app, I might just be able to get that 4.0 this semester after all. I'd recommend giving it a try if you're anywhere near as curious about grades, disorganized, or as busy as I am! It's simple and effective.
Excellent Concept, needs work though.
The overall concept of this app is great. You can enter all the assignments you are going to have for a class at the beginning of the semester, and the app provides you with notifications (pretty reliable too). You can also set up custom grading scales which is nice bc not all professors use the school system.
My complaints though--the iCloud syncing capabilities are not very good. I was trying to use both iPhone and iPad, and my iPad never seemed to be updated (even after using their troubleshooting methods/ideas). I would suggest just using one electronic device to make sure you see all your data all the time. Also, I wish you could adjust the way the app calculates GPA. Study Cal simply adds up all your grades and then divides by the appropriate number of class to get your GPA. If all your classes are the same amount of hours, this is not a problem. I have classes that range from 2-4hrs, so they must be weighted differently. This is a small problem, and more of a preference then a real problem.
Overall, I would recommend it though. Hopefully, some of the bugs will get worked out.
Goodbye paper planner - UPDATE
I had to drop this down to 3 stars. The app started having a lot of bugs and even with a complete reinstall, the bugs aren't fixed. I can't enter grades. Every time I try, the app crashes. I have items that were previously completed that I can't delete, duplicate assignments are showing, etc. Looks like I'll be getting a paper planner after all. ******I started using this app over the summer. I was originally going to complain about the look, but to my surprise, there was an update and it brought my rating back to 5 stars. This app keeps me from having to keep a paper planner and does everything I need it to do - shows me my classes, tasks, and upcoming deadlines in a nice user-friendly snapshot. Overall, it really helps me to stay on task and makes staying organized a lot easier. I don't have to worry about fishing for my planner when I need to check my schedule or add an event/task/assignment. Plus, with the new iCloud sync my info stays up to date on my mobile devices. If only there was a desktop app to have it on my laptop too.... Hint hint
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 17, 2014
- Version: 3.1
- Size: 4.0 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Nicholas Doherty
- © Nicholas Doherty
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.