Improve your experience at sea with OnCourse, the new boating and sailing navigation aid from MarineTraffic, the global leader in vessel tracking.
OnCourse helps you stay aware of the traffic around you, plan your voyages, while sharing your position with your friends and loved ones through the MarineTraffic Live Map.
Increase your awareness while sailing
- Plan and monitor your voyage*
- Calculate the optimal route*
- Add your own customisable waypoints to the map
- Collision detection & avoidance while sailing, with AIS
- Additional information during sailing (time to next waypoint, next ETA, final ETA, distance & bearing to waypoint)
Share your position on MarineTraffic.com and engage with the boaters’ community
- Report your own position even if your boat is not equipped with an AIS transponder, so that your friends and family can follow you in near real-time
- Track a particular boat in a race or keep in touch with friends’ boats whilst cruising
- Identify other vessels that are sailing in the area (provided that they transmit their positions)
- Upload photos of your boat for all the community to see
- Recognise vessels by using the Augmented Reality tool*
- Try out the VR feature (requires a VR headset)*
Very low data and battery consumption
All standard units of measurement supported
(*) Available only with OnCourse Plus subscriptions
Note: OnCourse is not AIS, OnCourse simulates the data transmitted by AIS transponders; however, it only transmits data through the Internet and not over AIS radio-frequencies. The information transmitted by OnCourse is not visible by the AIS receivers of other vessels. It will only be displayed on the MarineTraffic website and apps. As such, OnCourse is a self-reporting tool that does not substitute AIS transmissions and it is not, by any means, related to the safety and navigation equipment of a vessel.
Provided that Internet connectivity is available, the vessel's positions will start being reported once the OnCourse application is launched on your mobile device. Positions will continue being reported even if the app is running in the background! Broadcasting must be turned off whenever the device leaves the vessel.
How to use OnCourse - Registration Required
Registration for a MarineTraffic account is required in order to start reporting your position through the application. The details of the vessel must be also configured when using the app.
Get more with OnCourse Plus
- Global Nautical Charts
- Augmented Reality tool & VR glasses support
- Route Planner tool with optimal route calculation
- Global Wind Forecasts (48h)
- Detailed info for vessels around you
Subscription name: OnCourse Plus (1 year)
Subscription cost: $57.99 (USD)
Subscription duration: 1 year
Auto-renewable subscription: Your subscription will be renewed every year i.e. you will be charged annualy
For the above subscription:
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
This application is to be used for informational reasons and as navigation assistance. This is not a substitute for the good seamanship practices, the onboard navigation and safety instruments required by applicable regulations.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can decrease battery life
- Improved map handling
- Improved battery performance
- UI enhancements
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Does not seem to work reliably
The app has apparently replaced the previous mAIS app. In the past I used the mAIS app all the time when out on my boat so that my friends and family could see where we were boating. My brother also used it when we was out and I could track his progress.
This new app does not seem to work. Both my brother and I have been trying to use it over the last few weeks without much success.
We are logged into accounts, we have mmsi numbers registered, we are cruising in areas with decent cell coverage. It just doesn't seem to report our position.
Perhaps if I bought the upgrade to the "pro" version it would work but why would I do that. Based on the description of the app, the free version should simply report position.
Ready for the sea
Needed something like this last trip but now i've registered i'm ready to go. Good UI and experience so far!
This app requires that you set up an account, which is completely understandable. The problem is the registration page is beyond unusable- will not tell you what the password creation requirements are- indecipherable anti-robot mechanism.
End of the day you will walk away not being able to use this app and will have wasted 30 minutes...
- Maltenoz Limited
- 72 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © MarineTraffic.com
- In-App Purchases
- OnCourse Plus (1 year) $57.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.