Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Motion / Sound Detection
See what your camera sees while you're away. Set a motion trigger and record any activity that happens while you're gone! Set a cloud service as the save destination and even if a thief steals your computer, you'll have evidence of the crime!
OnCue turns your Mac into a motion and / or sound activated surveillance system.
What's New in Version 2.3.7
- Fixed bug that prevented selecting new save to folder
Good potential but flawed
This app could be great with probably just a little work. It has a significant memory leak (Activity Monitor showed 10GB of usage after running a couple of hours) and it is prone to crashing after a couple of hours (may or may not be related to memory issue). Also needs to be smart enough not to trigger to global brightness changes such as from the camera automatically adjusting its aperature setting.
I like it basically, but two things I don’t like.
I don’t like the fact that the little icon fails to appear on the top menu. I can’t make changes without that.
2. Since I can’t change the settings via the app icon, the camera is always on.
I set a schedule for activity and it worked once. After that, the camera stayed on and I can’t access the app to change the settings.
I liked it at first, and then I didn’t.
Fun to play around with after you figure it out.
I grabbed OnCue on short notice the day before going out of town for the weekend. We were trying a first time house sitter and I was curious to see if they rifled through the office while we were out. Here’s my experience:
- Initial setup was slightly confusing because I blasted through the intro screens without actually reading the instructions (My fault).
- NOTE!!!! Your Webcam light will ALWAYS be on (I covered mine with tape to hide the fact that it was on).
- My first testing didn’t result in any videos simply because I did not set the threshold values to a realistic setting (These settings are KEY to success).
- My one BIG problem is that I appear unable to change the recording destination folder (1 week later the Developer has yet to respond to my email).
- Program crashed on the first night of testing (Not sure why).
- Set up thresholds and settings the next day just before walking out the door and let’er rip.
- Came home to a couple hundred files that had recorded based off of triggers (No house sitter snooping, only animals or loud noises).
Overall I’m pleased with the results. I would downplay the audio threshold in favor of motion only, but other than that and being unable to change the reording location I really can’t complain about the results considering the price (as in beer). I’m on a 6-Core Mac Pro with a USB Microsoft Lifecam 1080p webcam. The video is gorgeous assuming you’ve purchased “Webcam Settings” (WORTH IT) from the app store to regulate the balance of it. Overall this is a great little app. With a little tweaking it could be great.
UPDATE: Developer has since updated hthe app to fix the save to location function so I’m bumping to 5 star. I seriously don’t get the 1 star “doesn’t work” reviews. This app works great with just a little bit of setup!