One Minute Reader
By Read Naturally, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Reading is important for students’ success.
Reading is a fundamental skill, one which adults sometimes take for granted. But many students have trouble learning to read. As they struggle to master this skill, they often find other subjects difficult too, and their self-esteem may suffer. Becoming able readers is crucial to students' success in school and in life.
Struggling readers need more than just books. They need a structured reading program that applies research-based principles to keep them on track and maximize results. They need a reading program like One Minute Reader.
• Engaging Content
One Minute Reader features interesting, nonfiction stories, packed with fascinating information. This engaging content taps into students' curiosity, so they want to find out more. Examples of book topics are Natural Wonders, Cool Creatures, and Fun Festivals.
• Develops Reading Fluency
The One Minute Reader program is based on learning strategies that research has shown are effective ways to develop reading fluency:
• Modeling by a fluent reader: Readers read along with a recording of a fluent reader to help them learn how to say the words and how to read in a natural voice.
• Repeated reading: Readers practice reading each story several times until they know the words and can read accurately and expressively.
• Enhances Vocabulary
One Minute Reader includes audio-supported definitions for selected vocabulary words in the stories, which helps readers learn the meanings and pronunciations of words they may find challenging.
One of four comprehension questions at the end of each story focuses on vocabulary.
An optional crossword puzzle in each book gives readers additional exposure to key words from the stories.
• Promotes Comprehension
A quiz step asks questions about the story to make sure students think about what the story is about and the ideas in it. The questions focus on identifying the main idea, attending to details, vocabulary, and making connections in the text.
• Motivating Feedback
Readers see graphs of their initial cold-timing score and then of their final hot-timing score, which shows how much they've improved. Watching their scores go up motivates readers to keep working.
• The Right Fit for Each Reader
One Minute Reader offers books in a range of reading levels from early reader through fifth grade, so each reader can find stories that are a good fit for his or her ability. You can use the placement program to determine the best fit.
What's New in Version 1.2.0
- Additional bug fixes.
- There are now three new books per level available via in-app purchase.
I bought this app to use for my class. It is great to use for fluency, but you are only given one book for each level. So I won't be using it as I would have like to.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 11, 2014
- Version: 1.2.0
- Size: 29.1 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: Read Naturally, Inc.
- © 2014 Read Naturally, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Level E Ready, Set, Yellow!$2.99
- Level 2 Ready, Set, Red!$2.99
- Level 1 Ready, Set, Orange!$2.99
- Level 3 Ready, Set, Purple!$2.99
- Level 5 Ready, Set, Green!$2.99
- Level 4 Ready, Set, Blue!$2.99
- Level 3 Amazing Athletes$4.99
- Level 1 Inventions$4.99
- Level 2 Cool Creatures$4.99
- Level E Cool Creatures$4.99