By Mike Tigas
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Onion Browser is a Tor-powered web browser that lets you access the internet privately and anonymously.
Featured in: TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Boing Boing, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Guardian, ProPublica, MSNBC, and others.
• Internet access tunneled over the Tor network:
- Websites do not see your real IP address.
- Web browsing is encrypted before it leaves your device, protecting your data on insecure wireless networks.
- Can access the entire Internet from behind corporate/ISP/national internet filters and censors. (See NETWORK RESTRICTIONS below.)
- Access websites on the "dark net" of anonymous .onion web sites, only accessible through Tor.
• Defeat online tracking: change IP address and clear cookies/history/cache/HTML5 storage in one button.
• User-Agent spoofing option can make it more difficult to detect that you are using an iPhone/iPad.
• Ability to block third party cookies or all cookies.
• Ability to disable active content (scripts and multimedia connections) that can be used to identify you.
PERFORMANCE NOTE: web browsing through the anonymization network will be SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER than through a non-tunneled browser.
VIDEO NOTE: video streaming services are not supported at this time. Normal video files are transferred of Tor due to system limitations -- viewing video files in the app may compromise privacy. Please see onionbrowser.com for more information.
NETWORK RESTRICTIONS: Onion Browser does NOT function in China, Iran, and other locations using Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) network technology to block Tor connections.
Onion Browser is open-source software and relies on other projects including The Tor Project and OpenSSL.
More security information is available at onionbrowser.com
What's New in Version 1.4
App is now being compiled with 64-bit CPU optimization (for iPhone 5S and new iPads), which may improve performance. App continues to work on all other devices running iOS 6.0+.
A progress bar / loading bar, similar to one used in Safari, has been added to the app. Based on work by Satoshi Asano.
A copy of the help site has been embedded into the app, for offline viewing and a more prominent link has been added to the main menu.
Fix awkward navbar / address bar spacing in iOS 7.
NOTE: Because of CPU optimization compatibility, Onion Browser now requires iOS 6.0 or greater.
Works very good
The browser worked good for me! I like that each setting is well explained. Also, I did not have speed issues. Actually, TOR is slow. It's how it has to be considering what it is doing (tunneling your traffic via many layers, like an onion, to achieve extreme connection privacy!) if you understand what TOR is and what it does then you understand this browser indeed works as well as any TOR client can!
Gave it 4 stars only because I think it's missing multiple tab support. Right now, only one browser tab is available and it would be nice to have at least a few more!
Great app. Good price and good features.
Love this app!
Works great everytime for me. If you lock your screen you will have to force close and re open but no other hiccup after I found that out. Use it all the time anywhere :D well worth 99cents!!
Excellent concept, another advantageous, indispensable tool for those to use who are really motivated about the safety, privacy and security of their online activities! Great work👍 and thanks
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Feb 05, 2014
- Version: 1.4
- Size: 8.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Michael Tigas
- © 2012-2014 Mike Tigas
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.