By Mike Tigas
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Onion Browser is a Tor-powered web browser that lets you access the internet privately and anonymously.
Featured in: TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Boing Boing, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Guardian, ProPublica, MSNBC, and others.
• Internet access tunneled over the Tor network:
- Websites do not see your real IP address.
- Web browsing is encrypted before it leaves your device, protecting your data on insecure wireless networks.
- Can access the entire Internet from behind corporate/ISP/national internet filters and censors. (See NETWORK RESTRICTIONS below.)
- Access websites on the "dark net" of anonymous .onion web sites, only accessible through Tor.
• Defeat online tracking: change IP address and clear cookies/history/cache/HTML5 storage in one button.
• User-Agent spoofing option can make it more difficult to detect that you are using an iPhone/iPad.
• Ability to block third party cookies or all cookies.
• Ability to disable active content (scripts and multimedia connections) that can be used to identify you.
PERFORMANCE NOTE: web browsing through the anonymization network will be SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER than through a non-tunneled browser.
VIDEO NOTE: video streaming services are not supported at this time. Normal video files are transferred of Tor due to system limitations -- viewing video files in the app may compromise privacy. Please see onionbrowser.com for more information.
NETWORK RESTRICTIONS: Onion Browser does NOT function in China, Iran, and other locations using Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) network technology to block Tor connections.
Onion Browser is open-source software and relies on other projects including The Tor Project and OpenSSL.
More security information is available at onionbrowser.com
What's New in Version 1.4.1
OpenSSL updated to 1.0.1g, fixing the Heartbleed bug.
Tor updated to 0.2.4.21.
Onion Browser now encrypts locally-stored data, including browser settings, bookmarks, and Tor bridges (if enabled), providing a slight security improvement if an attacker has physical access to the device. As long as the device is locked with a passcode and the app is inactive, data is encrypted by the operating system.
Fix issue where Onion Browser was not allowing third-party apps to open using custom URI schemes.
Fixes issues with certain websites (particularly ones using frames) and "active content blocking" being too aggressive.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Apr 23, 2014
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 8.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Michael Tigas
- © 2012-2014 Mike Tigas
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.