By Mike Tigas
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Onion Browser is a Tor-powered web browser that helps you access the internet with more privacy.
“The best Tor-related offering on iOS right now is Onion Browser” - The Daily Dot, October 14, 2015.
Featured in: The New York Times, The Guardian, Salon, TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Boing Boing, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Daily Dot, & others.
• Internet access tunneled over the Tor network:
- Websites do not see your real IP address.
- ISPs and insecure wireless networks cannot see your browsing.
- Access .onion websites: anonymous "hidden service" sites only accessible through Tor.
- Can access websites, even behind some types of internet filters and censors. (See DISCLAIMERS below.)
• Fight online tracking: use a new IP address and clear your cookies/history/cache in one button.
• Block third party cookies or all cookies.
• Disable scripts and multimedia content that can be used to track you.
Web browsing is much slower than through a normal web browser due to relaying through the Tor anonymization network.
Multimedia can bypass Tor and compromise your privacy; video files and video streams are not supported and are blocked by default.
Onion Browser does not function in China, Iran, and other locations that actively block Tor with "deep packet inspection" technology. Internet providers who use such filtering/censorship technology may also prevent Onion Browser from working. If you find that the app does not work, visit the Help/Support page to see what you can do.
Onion Browser is open-source software and relies on other projects including The Tor Project and OpenSSL. Use of Onion Browser is at your own risk; sensitive data does not always belong on a mobile device. More information is always available at onionbrowser.com
What's New in Version 1.5.16
Onion Browser 1.5.16 is a minor update to keep Onion Browser safe with an update to the internal copy of Tor. See onionbrowser.com for more information about this update.
* Tor updated to 0.2.7.6, fixing a security issue when connecting to Tor guards (improving overall anonymity strength and performance).
Top of the Tor heap
I've been using Onion Browser for 3+ years, and I can say that it's truly the BEST implementation of Tor on the iPhone, from a security standpoint. It's stable, it's well secured, the features that leak the most information and stray data are turned off (video and audio streaming, among other things), and Mr. Tigas promptly updates OB when new versions of Tor are released. Really the only thing missing is tabbed browsing, but given the strength of the security, that's only a minor issue.
Can we get a new icon?
This is the only Tor browser for iOS that I trust. It's open source and well maintained by a developer with a sterling reputation. Thanks for the great app!
The only Tor browser I trust
Thank you for such a great app and keeping it up to date!