OnStage for iPad
By Patrick Angle
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Tired of playing back sound effects off of CDs, using multiple CD players to overlap effects, and having to quickly replace scratched disks that are not working? We were. That’s why we built OnStage. OnStage is fast, familiar, and reliable to anyone that has ever played a CD or operated even the simplest of sound systems.
OnStage has already been used by groups like the Sound of North Marching Band in Columbus, IN and International Thespian Troupe #57 to produce better sound effects and layering effects than traditional CD players let them, all while being in a portable package that travels easily.
OnStage for iPad is live sound effect and audio playback software built for theatre and other situations in which much control is required over the playback of sounds like radio broadcasting and podcasting. OnStage lets you loop, pan, and group audio, as well as letting you fade master levels and play back multiple sound effects at once. You can teach OnStage where you want track levels, panning, and looping. OnStage mimics a multi-channel mixer, which means the layout should be familiar. Each track gets it’s own ‘channel’, and a master channel controls the entire shows playback. Because OnStage mixes sound effects before sending them to you mixer or speakers, it only takes one channel on your own sound board to handle all the output from OnStage, and OnStage supports a massive number of tracks loaded into you show, all sent to a single channel on your sound board.
Whether you are a sound designer for a regional theatre company, a marching band director looking to improve this year's show, or an independent podcaster, OnStage is ready to go as soon as your show takes the stage, the field, or the internet.
What's New in Version 2.0
OnStage 2.0 is a complete overhaul of the original OnStage that updates every aspect of OnStage. Key features and improvements include...
• OnStage's user interface has been updated to take full advantage of iOS 8 and the latest iPad Air and iPad mini devices.
• The saturation of the user interface has also been increase to improve readability and usability in direct sunlight for outdoor shows.
• Shows can now be created right on your iPad using the 'New' button in the show list.
• The open show's name now appears at the top of the screen, so you know which show is open.
• Tracks can be reordered visually using the 'Arrange' tool.
• Tracks can be added to your show from audio in your Music library on the device*, or from songs added to OnStage from iTunes File Sharing**.
• Remove tracks you are no longer using from the track's edit menu.
Note: When opening a show file for the first time in OnStage 2.0, it will be updated to the latest show file format. Files from OnStage 2.0 are not compatible with OnStage 1.x.
* Songs and audio stored in iCloud can not be added until they have been downloaded in the Music app.
** Supports standard audio file formats, including MP3, AIFF, and AAC. For a complete list of supported formats visit www.pangle.me/onstage.