By Aepryus Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Oovium makes my geek heart flutter.
- Anne Wind
This app is a thing of beauty.
- W Smith Jr
Wow I love this
22nd century calculating
- bill knighton
This will become Hari Seldon’s Prime Radiant some day.
- nicked off
Oovium is not an attempt to rehash old outdated inventions, but it subsumes much of their functionality. The calculator, spreadsheet, concept map, programming language: Oovium is all of them and it's none of them.
Oovium is the first (but certainly not the last) of an entirely new class of app, the calculation sandbox. It has been made possible by the invention of the touch device and Oovium's clean, efficient and tactile interface, designed for such devices, has been part of its DNA since its inception.
At its heart, Oovium aspires to make powerful, sophisticated and complex abilities (such as those currently available only to programmers) accessible to a wider audience. Oovium understands that increasing accessibility does not mean dumbing down an application by hiding complex functionality, it means making that complex functionality understandable by creating explicit visual representations for it.
The workspace of Oovium is a two-dimensional surface known as the Aether. Upon this aether a user can place Bubbles. There are currently four types of bubbles:
- InstBub is an instance of an object, usually a number, which in turn may be the result of an expression.
- MechBub allows the user to define their own functions.
- GridBub allows for a tabular arrangement of numbers and expressions similar to a spreadsheet.
- TextBub is a node that can be connected to other TextBub nodes in order to create concept maps.
These bubbles can be connected to each other in order to render sophisticated calculations in a visual (and aesthetic) way. Libraries of custom functions can be developed and included in other aethers when needed.
The concept of Oovium has six different aspects; in its current form it contains only one of these six aspects. It is a highly ambitious project with much more planned, that hopes to empower users; it hopes to change the way people think about and work with their computers; in short, it hopes to change the world! Come help drive its functionality; come help make Oovium happen!
What's New in Version 1.1.4
- IfBub : A visual conditional that can be used instead of the in-bubble 'if' function. Aside from its visual representation, it also has the advantage of only evalutating the appropriate resultant. This makes the IfBub very useful in creating recursive functions without needing to use the Function data type.
- TailBub : A new type of a MechBub specifically designed for creating recursive functions, greatly simplifing the ability to create loops. The TailBub's visual structure guides the user in creating a tail call optimized recursion which has performance advantages over MechBub recursion, but more importantly eliminates the 500 loop limit of the MechBub. (The TailBub will process for up to 1 second, which allow for signficantly more iterations)
- CronBub : Allows for the creation of a timer that increments its value periodically based on input parameters. The utility of the CronBub, is perhaps a bit limited at this point, but it will become an essential tool for modeling and animating with the arrival of the 2nd aspect of Oovium.
- TypeBub : Allows for the mapping of entities and relationships. Currently, the TypeBub is not integrated with the other bubble types of Oovium and is a faint shadow of it's ultimate functionality. However, it has been slipped into this version both as a preview of future attractions and because even in it's current form, it can be useful in creating some simple diagrams.
- [!,&,|] - the 'not' !, 'and' & and 'or' | operators have been added to the Lexicon
- The resolution of exported images has been increased to match the retina display. There are still plans to create a vector output, but that hasn't been done yet.
- In conjunction with the conversion of Oovium to OS X, once again massive under-the-cover refactoring has occurred with this version, including the conversion to the ARC memory model, a revamp of the Hover mechanism, some tweaks to the Math engine and major restructing of the Bubble system to allow for easier creation of new Bubbles, although more work is still needed with that.
Oovium is ALIVE!!!
This app is great. It has use possibilities that haven't even been realized yet. I gave it 4 stars instead 5 because of where it is now as opposed to its destination. This app is in its infancy stages and between its developer and the end users, this can grow to something universally useful for everyone.
I needed to utilize support recently and the response was excellent. The developer is also invested in its success. The company is small but diligent. I have been told by the developer that a new iteration of Oovium is being worked from the ground up and taking what is possible now and expanding its possibilities even more.
Keep the faith Oovites
I support alternate thinking!
Being geekish and proactive I bought this to help keep it alive. I really enjoy all of it. I was surprised when I finally got a MAC so I could see it, that I would have to buy a $30 version. Perhaps you could have a sale?
Creative way to work with numbers
I work extensively with data migrations and business intelligence and this app helps me figure out what is going on.
My go-to calculator for investments and all scratch pad math as well.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jun 10, 2013
- Version: 1.1.4
- Size: 4.3 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese
- Seller: Aepryus Software
- © 2012 Aepryus Software, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.