By IZE, Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Browse the maps of OpenStreetMap, download them for offline use¤, edit the maps (tag editing and node creation), find out where you are, search for addresses, get directions and scan the map for tweets with OpenMaps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Pinpoint your location on the map with a tap of a button.
- Use the digital compass to rotate the onscreen map to match the direction you're facing*.
- Turn off location services to reserve battery if you don't need them.
- Find out more info about places by simply tapping on their icons on the map.
- Search online for a location.
- Advanced users can add custom map types that they can browse.
- Download maps for offline use¤. Note: Usage of the Download tool is strongly discouraged. You may get throttled and even banned from the map tile servers if you download abusively.
- Find out what people tweet around you or anywhere in the world by scanning the map for geotweets.
- Log in to Twitter to read your timelines and view your friends' tweets and mentions of you on the map.
- Send out checkin or comment tweets about OSM places and follow the recent Twitter conversation about them within the app.
- Do some basic edits to the map like editing tags, or even adding new places.
- Calculate the car, bike or pedestrian route with directions¤ between any two locations with the help of online route providers CloudMade and YOURS**.
- Set transit points for the routes and bookmark the routes.
Follow @OpenMapsApp on Twitter for updates.
* Your device must have a digital compass built in in order for this feature to be available.
** YOURS online route provider has some limitations, such as no turn-by-turn directions, no support for transit point routing and long (> 200 km) routes.
¤ Feature available via in app purchase.
What's New in Version 4.6.4
- Updated for iOS 6 and iPhone 5.
- Better search results.
Paid for download service zoomed to my neighborhood and there was very little pertinent information for my area. There were random building footprints but most were missing. I couldn't tell if it was a loading issue until I went to a different part of the city where there was more information.
The interface design is cumbersome at best. No options for turning layers on and off or to even see what layers are available. Most buttons on the menu screen are enticing you to purchase additional features. Overall, there is extremely limited functionality with this app!
This is one mapping application I wish I could go back 10 min and not pay 2$ for the download functionality. I also wish I could go back and time and send them a geodatabase for my neighborhood.
Great for Trails
Yes it's not Apple or Google maps. That's not the point. It has what they don't - trails, trails, and more trails. Where google shows nothing but a large white empty space Open shows me single track hiking/biking trails everywhere - even with their name! My local park maps don't even show some of these trails.
A good supplement
Apple's maps or Google's Maps are fine and dandy for driving from on place to another, but when it comes to looking up bike routes or trails they both tend to fail miserably. Openmaps still provides a nice way to view that sort of info.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Oct 30, 2012
- Version: 4.6.4
- Size: 5.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: IZE, Ltd.
- © 2009-2012 IZE, Ltd.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Download Tool"$1.99
- "Even Smaller Donation"$0.99
- "Remove Ads from Timelines"$2.99
- "Small Donation"$9.99
- "Smaller Donation"$4.99