By IZE, Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Browse the maps of OpenStreetMap, download them for offline use, edit the maps (tag editing and node creation), find out where you are, search for addresses, get directions and scan the map for tweets with OpenMaps for iPhone, iPad an iPod touch.
- Pinpoint your location on the map with a tap of a button.
- Use the digital compass to rotate the onscreen map to match the direction you're facing*.
- Turn off location services to reserve battery if you don't need them.
- Find out more info about places by simply tapping on their icons on the map.
- Search online for a location.
- Advanced users can add custom map types that they can browse.
- Download maps for offline use. Note: Usage of the Download tool is strongly discouraged. You may get throttled and even banned from the map tile servers if you download abusively.
- Find out what people tweet around you or anywhere in the world by scanning the map for geotweets.
- Log in to Twitter to read your timelines and view your friends' tweets and mentions of you on the map.
- Send out checkin or comment tweets about OSM places and follow the recent Twitter conversation about them within the app.
- Do some basic edits to the map like editing tags, or even adding new places.
- Calculate the car, bike or pedestrian route with directions between any two locations with the help of online route providers CloudMade and YOURS**.
- Set transit points for the routes and bookmark the routes.
Follow @OpenMapsApp on Twitter for updates.
* Your device must have a digital compass built in in order for this feature to be available.
** YOURS online route provider has some limitations, such as no turn-by-turn directions, no support for transit point routing and long (> 200 km) routes.
What's New in Version 4.6.4
- Updated for iOS 6 and iPhone 5.
- Better search results.
Download option is useless
The download option is useless because the OpenStreetMaps servers block nearly any amount of downloading. I have no idea why it's even an option. The app should provide a way of copying map files/tiles from other sources (for example, the tiles useable by QLandkarteGT).
Works, saves bandwidth
It has worked well for me. In the Third World bandwidth is expensive and connections are sometimes slow, so the cached maps can help cut costs and deliver a better user experience than Google or Apple Maps. There are only two things I don't like:
1: you need to manually select offline or online mode, this should be automatic and/or on-demand.
2: Twitter geo search is not working. I thought this was Twitter's fault but other apps can do it so this app probably has not updated its code to use the current Twitter API.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Nov 01, 2012
- Version: 4.6.4
- Size: 5.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: IZE, Ltd.
- © 2009-2012 IZE, Ltd.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- 'CloudMade Turn-By-Turn Routing Service (1 Month Subscription)'$0.99
- "CloudMade Routing Directions"$1.99
- "CloudMade Turn-By-Turn Routing Service (6 Month Subscription)"$4.99
- "CloudMade Turn-By-Turn Routing Service (3 Month Subscription)"$2.99
- "Smaller Donation"$4.99
- "Even Smaller Donation"$0.99
- "Small Donation"$9.99