OpenVPN Connect is the official full-featured iPhone/iPad VPN client for the OpenVPN Access Server, Private Tunnel VPN, and OpenVPN Community, developed by OpenVPN Technologies, Inc.
* Easily import .ovpn profiles from iTunes, OpenVPN Access Server, Private Tunnel, or via a browser link.
* State-of-the-art power management technology minimizes battery usage.
* Support for multi-factor authentication using OpenVPN static and dynamic challenge/response protocols.
* Full IPv6 support (at both the tunnel and transport layer).
* uses mbedTLS (not affected by Heartbleed issue)
* Added Data Policy Agreement
* Added "Certificates" screen with the possibility to remove external certs
* Removed outdated "Network State detection" setting and enabled it by default
* Increased max length of inputs - username, hostname, etc.
* Added missed labels for Voice Over
* Fixed iOS 12 connectivity issues
* Fixed 'high battery usage' issue by reducing speed stats frequency. Now Speed Chart shows data with 10 sec interval
* Allowed empty password for certificates
* Added custom error messages for connection attempt without network available or proper certificate
* Disabled "Compression" by default (because it is insecure)
* Changed icons for "Edit Profile" and "Edit Proxy" buttons, and improved UX by increasing touch area
* Small UI improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Do NOT Update
This was a generally stable and reliable app that would invariably and predictably time-out after 24 hrs. A simple reconnect is all it would take to reconnect for another 24 hrs. After the recent update, however, I am disconnected from my VPN multiple times per day and the connection (when it works) has resulted in a profound decrease in network speed. As an attorney, I rely on a VPN for nearly everything I do - which means that this failed update had seriously compromised my ability to do my job. I cannot understand and refuse to accept any excuse for why this update does not work. Heads should roll - that is how serious this is for those of us who have built our jobs around the ability to communicate through a VPN. I am now forced to abandon my VPN provider so that I can download a client that does not require openvpn. An inexcusable failure that no amount of blaming apple will excuse.
After seeing multiple updates have been issued since my review, I decided to update and give openvpn another try. I am VERY pleased to report that the previously described problems above appear to be resolved, although time will tell. At this point I am quite pleased with the quick work that was done to make this app usable once again and recommend updating this app to the current version.
Poor since version 3
This app was reliable. No more. Since the new graphical interface came, it acts so poorly. I often encounter issues when the app can’t connect to the VPN server at all. Mostly happens when I’ve turned off cellular data and using wifi, when I activate cellular again I’m unable to connect to the VPN server through cellular. Recently it also happens when I turn off airplane mode in the morning when I wake up, again can’t connect. I need to reboot my iPhone, sometimes even twice. When I check the logs it just freezes at some point after sending the tunnel encryption algorithms to be used. I check the same server on my laptop and it connects without issues. It doesn’t even matter if it’s on TCP 443 or UDP 1194.
The previous version used to work great for so many years, then suddenly this update came out, looks like just a change for the sake of changing.
The tunnel is disconnected few seconds after the phone screen is off. It’s annoying.
And with this new graphical interface the amount of info given on the screen has been reduced. We no longer see the amount of data sent or received live.
I use the app every single day for most of the time I am using the internet. It’s very, very disappointing.
Second Failed Update in a row
I updated the app from 1.2.4 to 1.2.5 a while ago and I started having connection dropping issue. It will still shows the vpn icon, and even after checking the event log I do not see any disconnect event.
Sometimes, it will tell me authentication failed, but when I hit connect again it gets connected without any issue. I updated to the recent version 1.2.6, hoping all issues will be sorted out, but still having same issues.
When I was on 1.2.4 I had no issues at all except the seamless connection. Example: I am on wifi at someplace, then I leave it, get it in my car, drive, vpn re-established connection while on cellular, I arrive home, my phone gets on home wifi automatically, the vpn then re-establishe connection again. Anyone, would assume that vpn connection now is over wifi...but this is wrong, it re-established the connection to my cellular provider. I found about this accidentally. I have a shared family data plan. One month my data usage was 16gb, my average is like 1-2 gb. I had to check my data usage before and after work until I spotted the issue.
- OPENVPN TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- 19.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © OpenVPN, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.