OptimumCS-Pro: Optimum Camera Settings for Imaging Professionals
By George Douvos
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
OptimumCS-Pro is the unique Optimum Camera Settings tool for imaging professionals - for photographers, cinematographers and videographers. As a professional, you spend a fortune on quality optics - OptimumCS-Pro helps you use that expensive gear to its full potential.
- Don’t waste time performing depth of field calculations. Instead, specify the depth of field you want and let the app determine the best camera settings to use.
- Easily find the settings that give maximum image sharpness for the shot you’ve composed.
- Know how sharp your image will be before you’ve even shot it.
- Use info on image sharpness to make creative decisions to shoot at other than optimal settings.
- Enjoy the fastest, most intuitive operation imaginable.
- Feel confident knowing that’s it’s all based on solid, empirically tested optical science.
In almost all imaging work, OptimumCS-Pro is far superior to depth of field calculators. It alone gets the workflow right: Decide what depth of field you want and set that in OptimumCS-Pro. The app then instantly displays the focus distance and aperture that minimise the combined effects of defocus blur and diffraction, for the sharpest image across the desired depth of field that the laws of physics will allow (and therefore, in all cases, sharper than what is achieved via traditional practice).
OptimumCS-Pro also displays image sharpness information, including data on shooting at other than optimal settings. Can’t shoot at the optimum aperture, because, for example, you need a faster shutter speed afforded by a wider aperture? You’ll know exactly what the effect of your decisions will be.
OptimumCS-Pro retains the elegant, uncluttered interface of OptimumCS and adds options to configure that interface to better meet individual needs:
- Several different distance scales, emphasising near or far distances, are available, as is one for use with Hansma’s focus shift method in large format photography.
- User-definable focal length presets allow lightning-fast focal length selection.
- Information on image sharpness can be displayed in terms of blur spot diameter (akin to circle of confusion, but with the effects of diffraction included) or in line pairs per mm.
- The facility to set wavelength is available for those working in the infrared or ultraviolet part of the spectrum.
- Film/sensor sizes all the way up to 8x10 inch are accommodated, as are longer focal lengths.
OptimumCS-Pro's instant results are perfect for creative professionals who don’t want their tools to get in the way of their work or their art.
For further information on the right tool for the job, check out "Best Practice in Working With Depth of Field" at www.georgedouvos.com
What's New in Version 4.1
Numerous subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) aesthetic changes throughout the app for a more elegant look. Plus, a completely new “Settings” screen with no clutter (the “set once and forget” buttons being hidden from view unless needed), similar to the concept recently introduced on TrueDoF-Pro.
Bug fix - corrects a small error in the calculation of blur diameter in infrared photography.
Not terribly useful.
The description of this app sounds promising, but for landscape photographers who want a deep depth of field it really does not tell you what you don't already know. Additionally, it has an arrow of where you should focus but it does not tell you what that number is, it simply just had an arrow between 10-15 feet. Not very precise when that is kind of the point of this app. If I had to do it over again I would not purchase.
Great App if You Value Sharp Images
If you spend big bucks on a high resolution camera and lens, then you need this app to get the results you want.
Say you are shooting an interior with a 24mm lens. You need everything in focus that falls between 5 meters and 20 meters. Where do you focus and what aperture do you use?
If you guess wrong you will not get your optimum image.
The answer is you focus at 8 meters and use an aperture of 5.6. And if you are using a high resolution camera like the Sony A7Rii, your results will be off the charts.
Get the app.
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Oct 17, 2013
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 18.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: George Douvos
- © 2013 George Douvos
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.