Orbitrack is a brand-new, Augmented-and-Virtual-Reality satellite tracker and spaceflight simulator! It's your pocket guide to the thousands of spacecraft in orbit around our home planet.
Formerly called Satellite Safari, this relaunched app brings tons of new features:
1) Twice as many spacecraft as Satellite Safari, including classified military satellites!
2) Rich new graphics show atmospheric effects, city lights on Earth’s night side, and highly-detailed 3D satellite models.
3) Voice-controlled Virtual Reality mode that works with any smartphone VR viewer. iPhone only.
4) A re-vamped "augmented reality" mode that helps you find satellites in the sky. Works with Orbit and Satellite views too!
5) Iridium flare predictions and simulations.
6) Radio frequency data for amateur radio satellites.
7) Updated descriptions for hundreds of spacecraft. Every satellite now has a description from n2yo.com.
7) Supports the latest Apple hardware and software: iPhone X and iOS 11.
8) Dozens of user interface tweaks and optimizations make Orbitrack faster and easier to use than Satellite Safari.
9) Requires at least iPhone 5S or iPad Air with 64-bit processor and iOS 10 or later.
10) New sound effects and ambient background music.
11) New Time Flow controls let you easily set the date and time, and animate the view.
If you're new to Orbitrack, here's what it can do:
• Track thousands of satellites. Orbitrack will tell you when spacecraft pass overhead, show you where to find them in the sky, and let you track them across the planet.
• Teach you about the International Space Station, and hundreds of other satellites in orbit, with comprehensive mission descriptions.
• Show the view from any satellite, and see the Earth from orbit just as the “bird” sees it! Orbitrack includes detailed 3D models for dozens of satellites – see them up close from any angle!
• Stay on top of the space race. Orbitrack updates its satellite data from n2yo.com and celestrak.com every day. When new spacecraft are launched, maneuver into new orbits, or fall back into the atmosphere, Orbitrack shows you what’s happening up there, right now.
Orbitrack isn’t just powerful – it’s incredibly easy to use! You don’t need an aerospace degree to become an expert satellite tracker. Orbitrack puts advanced capabilities at your fingertips, with the same intuitive touch interface you use every day.
The new VR mode is an out-of-this-world experience. Become an astronaut without ever leaving Planet Earth!
And if that’s not enough, Orbitrack includes detailed, built-in Help – and expert, responsive technical support.
1) Removed "Command not recognized" alert during VR voice control.
2) Hide Home bar on iPhone X in night vision mode.
3) Show "Locate" arrow closer to center of screen in AR mode.
Ratings and Reviews
I love the VR!
This satellite tracker is pretty awesome, I have to admit. In addition to high accuracy, its got great in-app visuals, including the option to “orbit” the satellite itself and look back at the stars. I especially like how I just have to tilt it sideways to access VR mode - so easy. Also I didn’t really get the voice commands till I did that and realized using the keyboard was not so easy when it’s pressed to my face 🤣 thanks for thinking of that. And I like that I can use inexpensive VR glasses, but when will I be able to get Southern Stars specs? Hint hint...
Thanks for the kind words!
Attention to detail
I love how this app has a lot of features and attention to detail. For instance, it has menu items for “news” about objects—what’s brightest, what will be visible tonight. I also like how if you zoom in on a object, there’s animation to show you how its position is changing in real time. I like the various perspectives it offers too—one lets you see objects with the constellations as a backdrop, or you can see the earth from the objects’ perspective. Very feature rich. Nice, educational app!
Great space app
Wow! I had a lot of fun with this app. The 3D effect in the VR mode is out of this world! I had no idea there was so much stuff up there, floating around, and being able to see it “from up there” is totally cool. Lots of great material in here too, the author’s done a lot of research. From everything I’ve seen, it’s a huge improvement over the old version.
We think so too. :-)
- Southern Stars
- 133.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Copyright 2016-2018 Southern Stars Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.