By Hemisphere Games
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
"Named as iPad Game of the Year for a reason, Osmos is a fantastic game. A combination of physics, survival and classic eat em up" -- WeDoCode
Enter the absorbing world of Osmos: part ambient, cosmic simulator, and part Darwinistic game of survival. This multi-award-winning game features beautiful, physics-based gameplay, dreamlike visuals, and an atmospheric electronic soundtrack.
Your goal is to grow by absorbing smaller motes, but to propel yourself you must eject matter behind you, causing you to shrink. From this fundamental balance, Osmos leads the player through ambient playgrounds, deep solar systems, competitive petri dishes, dense mote-fields, and more.
* Progress from serenely ambient levels into varied and challenging worlds. (47 levels plus bonus content.)
* Confront attractors, repulsors and intelligent motes with similar abilities and goals as you.
* Procedural content: play random versions of any level.
* Sublime electronic soundtrack by Loscil, Gas/High Skies, Julien Neto, Biosphere, and more.
* 11 glorious achievements, now integrated with Game Center.
* Dynamic time-warping: slow down the flow of time to outmaneuver agile opponents; speed it up to raise the challenge.
* Retina display support.
* 5 languages: English, French, German, Spanish and Italian.
* Winner of the IGF D2D Vision award.
* Winner of the "Best in Show" and "Fun/Compelling" awards at IndieCade.
* Independent Games Festival finalist in three categories: Seumas McNally Grand Prize, Excellence in Design and Technical Excellence
* Selected as one of the 2009 PAX 10
* ...and chosen by many websites in their best-of-year lists.
"a beautiful, absorbing experience… brilliant to look at… the best videogame music I've heard… will make you forget your cares and immerse you in the game… you'll find yourself returning for the experience." -- Editor’s Choice Award, IGN
"wonderful gameplay… beautifully polished and tantalizingly atmospheric… Osmos mixes puzzle, action and strategy remarkably and all the while does it with great finesse and style." -- indiegames.com
"beyond doubt, a work of genius... a relaxing, meditative experience about going with the flow... It all adds up to something otherworldly and just . . . incredible." -- GameAndPlayer.net
"an almost transcendental video game experience… a stellar example of electronic music's potential impact on indie video game production." -- londonfuse.ca
What's New in Version 1.8
* Added Retina display support.
* Minor tweaks and fixes.
Version 1.8 graphics are off with AMD Radeon HD 6970M
This is a great game and so unique in what it is about. I will say that some of the levels halfway in are kind of boring and too hard, so i've never gotten to a lot of probably interesting territory. The main point of this review is that the latest update diminished the graphics on my newish iMac - it is no longer entirely compatible. The game runs but a lot of the subtle details of the graphics are gone. The AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card has been checked as good, and I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Too bad. It works fine on my laptop, and on my wife's iPad of course, but not on my big gorgeous 27 inch monitor.
Even better than IOS version
Loved the game for my iPhone, but stray touches sometimes got me in the weeds. I wondered what it would be like playing this with a touchpad, but it’s even more accurate this way. Graphics are splendid on my 13” retina display, love the soundtrack. I don’t think I’ll play it much on my phone anymore.
Needs one more thing...
and that is support for full screen, then it would be perfect. It's easier on the iPad because of the touch screen, but I still would like to play it in full screen on my MacBook Pro. Game works fine, no apparent problems.