Our Journey in the Hospital
By MediaKube, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Emily Center at Phoenix Children’s Hospital presents Our Journey™ in the Hospital as a patient education tool to help families of a sick child identify what they need to know before taking their child home from the hospital. Parts of this app may also be used during a clinic or emergency room visit.
When a child is in the hospital, parents can be overwhelmed by nurses and doctors rushing around, speaking medical jargon. Sometimes health care professionals think they are clearly communicating, but don’t check to make sure you understand them. One way you can be sure you understand is if you are able to teach back their information in your own words. Our Journey™ in the Hospital app is designed to:
- Be used from the time of admission, to help with conversations between families and the health care team while the child is in the hospital.
- Help parents identify what they need to know before taking their child home safely.
- Give parents a safe way to admit what they don’t know or understand, and ask questions.
- Cue families on what they need to teach back or demonstrate for their nurse or doctor. This gives the health care professional a chance to confirm information and skills and correct any misunderstandings.
- Help families feel confident that they can safely care for their child at home after discharge from the hospital, know the signs of possible problems, and know how to respond.
About The Emily Center at Phoenix Children’s Hospital
Founded in 1990, the Center is named after Emily Anderson. Emily fought a rare form of leukemia for four years before losing her battle a few days before her seventh birthday. Frustrated by the lack of easy to understand information about Emily’s illness, her parents founded The Emily Center so that families of sick children would always have access to pediatric health information that is accurate, easy to understand, and free of charge to Arizona’s families. Visit us at emilycenter.org and on Twitter @emilycenter
Our Journey™ in the Hospital app has been funded by a grant from The Phoenix Children’s Hospital Patient & Family Alumni Leadership (PALs) group. As former patients and their immediate family members, PALs members are in a unique position to understand families’ needs and remain committed to raising funds that improve conditions for patients and families.
About MediaKube LLC
MediaKube develops award-winning mobile apps, motion graphics, and eLearning content for companies of all sizes. With a unique blend of technical, artistic, user experience, and instructional design skills, MediaKube crafts creative digital media that communicates, educates, and informs while having fun doing it.
Visit mediakube.com or follow us on Twitter @mediakube
What's New in Version 1.4
- Bug fixes and general enhancements
- Fixed PDF links that were outdated
If you use "Our Journey in the Hospital", please leave us a rating and review on iTunes!
- Category: Medical
- Updated: May 06, 2014
- Version: 1.4
- Size: 10.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: MediaKube, LLC
- © 2014 Phoenix Children's Hospital, Inc. and MediaKube LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.