Outline -your digital notebook
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
One note app to write, organize & print. OneNote compatible & Office 365 powered.
Capture notes at any spot on a page and drag around the place, organize in the world's most natural hierarchy, print to PDF, publish to web, and sync across devices with your favorite cloud.
Freedom but clear structure. Power features but focus on note-taking. Beautiful UI.
ONENOTE'S BEST FRIEND
- Import from OneNote, to give those notes a new start beyond OneDrive or SharePoint
- Export to OneNote, just in case
- Go beyond import/export and do a real time collaboration on notes with colleagues who use OneNote (your iPad and their PCs)
- Choose where you want to store your notes: Office 365, WebDAV, Dropbox, iCloud, Box, personal OneDrive, or SharePoint Server / Online
- Consider a no-cloud option too: some notes need offline and cloud-free privacy
- Find everything a note needs by the hand: text, lists, tables, handwriting, and drawing
- Put that stuff anywhere in a note and then move around / re-size / edit it all, the way you like
- Personalize notebooks with artful covers
- Keep notes structured in a natural hierarchy of pages, sections, and notebooks (and section groups, yes)
- Access a note fast via recents, search, and note links
Whether it is your meeting minutes, research, document annotations, or ideas, give those a chance to go beyond the limits.
Your notes are essential and do matter more than formats, storage, platforms, or even the app for note-taking.
"From a feature set and user interface perspective, Outline is impressive" - TechRepublic.
"Outline for iPad really provides the full editing experience you would have in OneNote or even on your Mac." - iPhone Life.
"Outline a grants you the basic and much-needed capability to create new notebooks and sections" - CNET.
Featured on Product Hunt in "Alternatives to Evernote" collection: producthunt.com/e/alternatives-to-evernote
Learn more about note-taking best practices: check out fb.com/outlineapp
What's New in Version 3.21.2
- iOS 11 bug fixes
Falling behind Onenote in features.
When I initially purchased Outline, it was superior to then-terrible Onenote for iOS. Since then, the situation had reversed.
Outline still has three advantages over Onenote:
1) It can use files from cloud storage other than Onedrive. This is the biggest advantage - but only for those who need it. If you're using a free Onenote on the desktop, you really can't utilize this. You also need to be using Onedrive if you want to have web access to your notebooks.
2) It has a beautiful visual design.
3) It can open .one files directly from email, which is a useful feature in some very limited circumstances.
It also has a number of drawbacks, and here's the two biggest ones:
1) It doesn't OCR images, it doesn't OCR printouts, and even when it seems to find text in printouts created by Onenote, it won't highlight it half the time. This makes it a poor data management solution - what good is all that info if I can't find it ? This is a major design limitation.
2) While the sync has improved lately, it is still slow and there's no background sync.
With Onenote getting better and better, they need to at least fix the search to stay relevant.
Lost and confused
I did not find this intuitive. The tutorial/user guide and search not helpful. Deleted an extraneous tab resulted in all tabs deleted. No undo. No “deleted” folder to put them back. Everything gone. Looks pretty, but doesn’t work for me.
Extremely difficult to sync across device, it should be seamless and intuitive but unfortunately it functions like software from 2005 in the time before smartphones.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 30, 2017
- Version: 3.21.2
- Size: 122 MB
- Languages: English, German, Russian, Simplified Chinese
- Seller: GORILLIZED CORPORATION
- © Gorillized Corporation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- OneDrive for BusinessFree
- WebDAV SyncFree