Speed-read websites, ebooks and documents. Outread improves reading effectiveness by helping you focus on reading small chunks of text at a time. You can either follow the highlighter along the page or keep it centered.
“A clear winner in the speed-reading category” — AppAdvice
“You're in luck, because Outread will help you get through them [articles] and learn speed-reading in the process.” — Lifehacker
Featured by Apple in “Train Your Brain” section
- Sync with Pocket, Instapaper and Pinboard
- Add your own ebooks (DRM-free ePub) or read free classic novels from the built-in library
- Add webpages from Safari or other apps using share extension
- Add Microsoft Word, .rtf and .txt documents or read the clipboard contents
- Everything is always with you, even offline
- Follow the highlighter along the page (Guided Reading) or keep the highlighted phrase in the center of the screen (RSVP)
- Adjust the reading speed and the highlighter size (length of the chunk of text you read at once)
- 2 themes (Day & Night) and 5 fonts to suit all reading conditions
- Monitor your progress with reading stats
- Filter (by services or tags) and sort (by date, length or title) the items
- In order to reduce distractions, items are stripped from unnecessary content
- Universal app for iPhone and iPad
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) protected ebooks (Kindle and most of iBooks ebooks) are not supported
- Sync between iPhone and iPad versions is currently available only via Pocket, Instapaper and Pinboard
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can reach us at email@example.com
Fixes possible crash after few minutes of reading in Flashing (RSVP) mode.
- Revamped and unified look between iPhone and iPad
- Updated for all new devices
- Supports multitasking on iPad
- San Francisco font replaces Helvetica
- Haptic feedback support
- More options at hand in quick settings (three dots button) on the article screen
- Archive, delete, favorite and share buttons now are available when swiping a cell
- When saving websites from Safari, Outread will now directly grab the contents of the webpage (should help with paywalled websites)
- Improved extraction of text from webpages
- Animation glitches when starting and stopping reading
- Tapping anywhere on the article screen should now correctly toggle focused reading
- Pocket tags shouldn't randomly disappear anymore
- Text around "&" characters shouldn't be cut off anymore
- Improved display of smart quotes
- Improved support for Dynamic Type for visually impaired users
Ratings and Reviews
As someone who loves information, new ways to learn, and getting through the front pages of newspapers, this app is essential. It pays for itself. It also has classic books on there which is a nice added bonus.
Anyone who thinks ‘you’ can’t speed read, I encourage you to try this app out and see how your amazing brain works.
You can read rsvp or guided. I’m going through 20 news pieces a day and I love it!
Best so far
I’ve had quite a few speed reading apps, and this is by far the most affordable and useful.
I do wish algorithms could deviate the speed a little based on word complexity or syllable count. My brain doesn’t naturally process all words at the same speed.
Convenient and helpful
I had very good experience with this app. It really helps me focus on what I read and read faster. It would be better if the users could highlight the materials.
- Arkadiusz Holko
- 6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2018 Arkadiusz Holko
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.