Outread – Speed Reading
By Arkadiusz Holko
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Speed-read websites, ebooks and documents. Outread improves reading effectiveness by helping you to focus on reading small chunks of text at a time. You can either follow the highlighter along the page or keep it centered.
“A clear winner in the speed-reading category” — AppAdvice
“You're in luck, because Outread will help you get through them [articles] and learn speed-reading in the process.” — Lifehacker
Featured by Apple in “Train Your Brain” section
- Universal app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Made with newest iOS in mind: Document Picker support, background syncing, multiple font sizes and a URL Scheme
- Sync with Instapaper, Pinboard, Pocket, and Readability
- Add your own ebooks (DRM-free ePub) or read free classic novels from the built-in library
- Add Microsoft Word, .rtf and .txt documents or read the clipboard contents
- Add from Safari via the bookmarklet or paste the URL inside the app
- Everything is saved for offline reading
- Follow the highlighter along the page (Guided Reading) or keep the highlighted phrase in the center of the screen (RSVP)
- Adjust the reading speed and the highlighter size (length of the chunk of text you read at once)
- 2 themes (Day & Night) and 5 fonts to suit all reading conditions
- Monitor your progress with reading stats
- Auto archive items once they’re read
- Filter (by services or tags) and sort (by date, length or title) the items
- In order to reduce distractions, items are stripped from unnecessary content – what’s left is the leading photo and the text
- Sync between iPhone and iPad versions is currently available only via Instapaper, Pinboard, Pocket and Readability
- DRM-protected ebooks (Kindle and most of iBooks ebooks) are not supported
You can see the video of the app on our website: http://outreadapp.com
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can reach us at email@example.com or @OutreadApp on Twitter.
What's New in Version 1.4
Please leave us a nice review or update your old review if you like what we are doing with the app. Thanks!
- Updated for iOS 8, compatible with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Add files quickly from your Dropbox, iCloud Drive and other cloud accounts via Document Picker ("+" > "Add a File")
- Added delays for punctuation (see Preferences > Reading Mode)
- Added the ability to stop highlighter from crossing sentences (see Preferences > Reading Mode)
- Better contrast in the RSVP mode
- Improved accuracy of sliders (WPM and highlighter size)
- Many other fixes and improvements
Can't say enough!
I honestly can't say enough about Outread! I've turned so many friends on to the app because, let's face it, it's incredible. Even friends of mine who have never been a big fan of reading absolutely love it. The ability to sync between pocket and other 3rd party apps makes reading what you want, when you want, well, simple! I'm the type of person who always overloads themselves with the number of articles they'd like to read, and because of Outread, Im able to get through them easily and effectively. I personally prefer the "RSVP" mode because I find myself reading faster than the highlighted words in the "Guided Reading" mode. However, the ability to switch between the 2 is a great feature! I've always read at a good pace without sacrificing my comprehension, but with Outread I'm WAY faster(no surprise there!). It takes a little bit of time to figure out how you, yourself, can get the most out of the app,with its settings for variable speeds and the number of highlight words. But let me tell you, once you do, you'll be reading faster than you ever though possible! I, myself started around 450 words per minute and now go back and forth between 650 and 720 words per minute depending on how dense the material is. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT, RECOMMEND IT, AND WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITHOUT IT!
Best speed-reading app- it even bookmarks where you left off in a chapter
I’d been looking for a good speed-reading app, more to concentrate my focus than anything else. I tried FASTR Pro and Acceleread and looked at others, but Outread seems to have the combo of attributes I wanted. It imports epub books and allows you to read in full-text and RSVP mode. Best of all - because this is a problem with other apps — it bookmarks where you are in a chapter and you can return there when you return to the app.
I’d like there to be a bit more variation in the size of the text and a few other frills but it seems to be the best core speed reading app I’ve been able to find. And the price is great as well.
My favorite reading app - better than the rest!
After purchasing numerous speed reading apps this one is by far my favorite! It syncs flawlessly with pocket (as well as other save for later apps) and also allows downloading of documents and books. Well worth it!
Only issues I've discovered: I would like the text slider to permit larger text size; would like to be able to sync across devices; and would like a version for kindle and a desktop version (mac and pc) as I am a gadget freak!
Otherwise, close to perfect!!!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 21, 2014
- Version: 1.4
- Size: 4.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Arkadiusz Holko
- © 2014 Arkadiusz Holko
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.