Outread – Speed Reading
By Arkadiusz Holko
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Speed-read websites, ebooks and documents. Outread improves reading effectiveness by helping you to focus on reading small chunks of text at a time. You can either follow the highlighter along the page or keep it centered.
“A clear winner in the speed-reading category” — AppAdvice
“You're in luck, because Outread will help you get through them [articles] and learn speed-reading in the process.” — Lifehacker
Featured by Apple in “Train Your Brain” section
- Universal app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Sync with Instapaper, Pinboard, Pocket, and Readability
- Add your own ebooks (DRM-free ePub) or read free classic novels from the built-in library
- Add Microsoft Word, .rtf and .txt documents or read the clipboard contents
- Add URLs using the iOS share sheet (share extension)
- Everything is saved for offline reading
- Follow the highlighter along the page (Guided Reading) or keep the highlighted phrase in the center of the screen (RSVP)
- Adjust the reading speed and the highlighter size (length of the chunk of text you read at once)
- 2 themes (Day & Night) and 5 fonts to suit all reading conditions
- Monitor your progress with reading stats
- Auto archive items once they’re read
- Filter (by services or tags) and sort (by date, length or title) the items
- In order to reduce distractions, items are stripped from unnecessary content – what’s left is the leading photo and the text
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) protected ebooks (Kindle and most of iBooks ebooks) are not supported
- Sync between iPhone and iPad versions is currently available only via Instapaper, Pinboard, Pocket and Readability
You can see the video of the app on our website: http://outreadapp.com
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or @OutreadApp on Twitter.
What's New in Version 1.4.3
- You can now add articles (URLs) to Outread using the iOS share sheet thanks to our new share extension
- Crash on iOS 10.3 in RVSP mode on iPad
Does what it says well
Works very well. However, the metronome sounds are very quiet, importing files must be done one at a time, and there is no way to synchronize across devices. You can synchronize some files via instapaper and the like, but not epub and afaik, it still wouldn't sync reading progress. Minor problems overall, though.
Convenient and helpful
I had very good experience with this app. It really helps me focus on what I read and read faster. It would be better if the users could highlight the materials.
For English only
It doesn't support language like Chinese.
update: downgrade to one star
This app has some pitfalls. For example, the statistics page has a share button, which would prefill not your stats but a bait phrase "My reading stats in Outread" with its purchase link, hooray, such a fantastic promotion method I've never seen before.!