Outread – Speed Reading
By Arkadiusz Holko
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Speed-read websites, ebooks and documents. Outread improves reading effectiveness by helping you to focus on reading small chunks of text at a time. You can either follow the highlighter along the page or keep it centered.
“A clear winner in the speed-reading category” — AppAdvice
“You're in luck, because Outread will help you get through them [articles] and learn speed-reading in the process.” — Lifehacker
Featured by Apple in “Train Your Brain” section
- Universal app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Made with newest iOS in mind: Document Picker support, background syncing, multiple font sizes and a URL Scheme
- Sync with Instapaper, Pinboard, Pocket, and Readability
- Add your own ebooks (DRM-free ePub) or read free classic novels from the built-in library
- Add Microsoft Word, .rtf and .txt documents or read the clipboard contents
- Add from Safari via the bookmarklet or paste the URL inside the app
- Everything is saved for offline reading
- Follow the highlighter along the page (Guided Reading) or keep the highlighted phrase in the center of the screen (RSVP)
- Adjust the reading speed and the highlighter size (length of the chunk of text you read at once)
- 2 themes (Day & Night) and 5 fonts to suit all reading conditions
- Monitor your progress with reading stats
- Auto archive items once they’re read
- Filter (by services or tags) and sort (by date, length or title) the items
- In order to reduce distractions, items are stripped from unnecessary content – what’s left is the leading photo and the text
- Sync between iPhone and iPad versions is currently available only via Instapaper, Pinboard, Pocket and Readability
- DRM-protected ebooks (Kindle and most of iBooks ebooks) are not supported
You can see the video of the app on our website: http://outreadapp.com
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or @OutreadApp on Twitter.
What's New in Version 1.4.2
- Fixes issue with encoding of some characters in some of the articles (you have to log out and log in again to Instapaper/Pocket/Pinboard to have this issue fixed)
- Adds better selection of font sizes (FINALLY!)
- Adds support for 12.9-inch iPad Pro
- Removes Readability support because the service is closing soon
Best RSVP App
Outread is the best RSVP reading app. It supports epubs and groups of more than one word at a time. It has good import options like Pocket and Dropbox. You can see the surrounding text and read normally when you pause in case you lose your place. And the new version finally let you set a large font!
My biggest complaint is the max speed of 1000 wpm. Setting a speed significantly higher than you can comfortably handle helps with training. I want to set it to 1500 wpm and read something i don't care much about, then go back down for stuff i do care about. 1000 max isn't fast enough for me because i can read a lot of stuff at 800+ and i can actually read some easy stuff, where i don't need great comprehension, at 1000+. i hope they will increase the max speed to 2000 or more, which i'm guessing would be a very easy change.
The best RSVP option
I took some time to test this app before writing this review. I wanted to become familiar with it.
I absolutely love using this. I use Spritz on my browser, and I use WordRunner on Kindle. And I have to say that this app provides me with a comparable, if not superior, experience.
Doesn't read many common files incl PDFs