OutSider - running, jogging, walking, and cycling app for exercise and workout tracking
By The Weather Channel Interactive
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Track your runs and see weather's impact on your times. OutSider, a Weather-centric Running App for Outdoor Enthusiasts, introduces the first running App to analyze and share the EFFECT of WEATHER on run performance, using the new Run Weather Index technology from The Weather Channel Labs.
Whether it’s a hot, humid day or a cold, windy evening, runners understand that weather affects their performance. The OutSider App incorporates the weather science behind running and translates what that means for runners, making it easier and safer to plan a run and make better running decisions. Our favorite features include:
• Run Weather Index (RWI) – OutSider uses a patent-pending process that uses biometeorological factors (such as air quality, humidity, temperature, wind, precipitation, cloud cover and rain) to determine – and even forecast – your optimal run conditions.
• Plan your runs – Our unique 48-hour and ten-day run weather forecasts use your personalized RWI to help you decide the best time to run outside.
• Track your runs – set goals and check in on your overall run analysis
• Route your runs – The App remembers your routes so you can compete against yourself.
• Analyze your runs – View a chart of historical run data based on weather conditions to track the impact on your performance. Then personalize your RWI to find the ideal times for your best performance.
• Music playlists and calendar integration – OutSider works seamlessly with your iPhone or iPod
• Advanced Device integration – Uses the GPS and iPhone 5s (M7) motion sensor to track your stride, or connect your own heart rate monitor or stride sensor for additional run data.
The OutSider App is the first to enhance a runner’s experience through the lens of weather. Not only does this App give the most accurate weather forecast from The Weather Channel, but it also uses that forecast to help you make running decisions.
Now available free for iPhone and iPod touch from iTunes, OutSider offers a new, proprietary Run Weather Index, technology that uses weather and biometeorological research to determine optimal run conditions and help track, plan and analyze your runs.
To bring this incredible App to life, The Weather Channel partnered with Wahoo Fitness, the industry leader in connecting fitness sensors to the smartphone. Wahoo’s proprietary iOS software powers the OutSider App’s in-run and GPS mapping technology. The App also works with Wahoo’s Blue HR heart rate monitor to provide real-time heart rate and calories burned data during a workout.
OutSider extends the technology leadership and innovation of The Weather Channel, known for the most accurate weather forecasts across screens – whether television, web, mobile, tablet or emerging platforms.
What's New in Version 1.2
Hey everyone, Outsider is now updated for iOS 8.
Thanks for all your OutSider feedback and comments. In this version our dev team has:
- Resolved the iOS 8 start up graphics issue
- Fixed the Run Planner crash
- Improved app performance and squashed several small bugs
RWI does not work in extreme temps
I only use this app to plan my runs around the weather. I live in the Chicago area, so it gets pretty cold here and I prefer to plan to run when it's in the twenties or thirties with calm winds as opposed to single digits or lower. While the app's visual interface is attractive and the information provided helpful, the formula for RWI is almost entirely useless. The formula seems to reverse itself in extreme temperatures. For example, currently it shows a perfect 10 for an evening that is forecasted to be negative 11 degrees.
I was so excited about this app! It has turned out, though, to be a huge disappointment. I have used it three times and three times it has crashed as I have tried to save my run. Now, I'm not running long distances - just a few miles to run off 'mommy angst', and still it fails. Every. Single. Time. It's not like it has to save hours and hours and miles and miles of data! It's 3-5 miles max.
I had really high hopes for this app to support my training efforts in the Winter months. It DOES not allow for REAL personalization of preferences. I prefer low wind, high humidity and colder temperatures for my activity. On perfect days that that were ideal for training in those conditions the app gave a 1 or 3. Customer service process leaves a lot to be desired. Much improvement needed.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Nov 08, 2014
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 31.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The Weather Channel
- © The Weather Channel
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.