Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef
By Dawn Publications
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
- Named Best Book App of 2012 by Kirkus Reviews!
Now this best-selling counting & sing-along book is an interactive app! Children count, poke and jiggle the ocean animal babies to watch them graze, skitter, dart, and much more—and then find all the babies in a counting game. “Over in the Ocean” (book) has won nine major awards, including Learning Magazine’s Teacher’s Choice Award and National Parenting Publications’ Gold Award. This app is a fun way to reinforce learning. This App is available in English only.
- Kirkus Reviews says: “This beautifully illustrated counting and sing-along app version of the 2004 book introduces young readers to the creatures of the coral reef. The original book is enhanced by simple, well-executed animations. With a touch or a jiggle, kids can send baby fish swimming, puffer fish puffing and squid squirting ink. After a one-by-one introduction to the featured coral-reef babies from one octopus to 10 seahorses, a "Find the Babies" game brings them all back together for one final count. Backed by music and ocean sounds, the text is read or charmingly sung by the book's multitalented author, or readers can choose to read to themselves. True to the publisher's mission to connect children to nature, the app includes photographs and factual information about the sea life in the story. Artist Canyon explains how she created the illustrations with polymer clay and tools from her kitchen in an accessible way that encourages children to create their own art projects. In fact, counting skills and science aside, her vibrant pictures of the coral-reef habitat are enough to make this app appealing to readers of all ages. With a format that includes science, math, art, music and reading, it still manages to be what learning should be—fun. (iPad informational app. 4-8)”
- Mandi at www.iheartthisapp.com says: “This counting and sing-along app is a must have! I have the actual book and I was very excited to check out this app. All I can say is WOW! I have enjoyed reading the original book every year in my classroom, but now having experienced this app version of the story, I would have to say that my students and I probably enjoyed it even more than the book! Even though there are three options, most often my students picked for the story to be sang to them and they would even sing along with it! It was a joy to see how my students would interact with the story and how much they learned about each ocean animal baby. Don’t forget to tap on the baby animals on each page to see what they can do! As a teacher, I love apps that have an educational aspect and not just something fun to do. Over in the Ocean app is perfect.”
- Tracy at bestappsforkids.com says: “Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef is one book app that your family will enjoy over and over again, even after the kids learn their numbers.”
- Remarkable artwork is constructed entirely from polymer clay! You will want to grab your own colored clay after illustrator Jeanette Canyon explains how she does it.
- Choose between “Read to Me,” “Read to Myself,” and “Sing to Me.”
- Children can touch the animal babies or jiggle the screen to watch them perform their distinctive true-to-life actions (for example, the pufferfish “puff” or the octopus “squirts” dark ink).
- After being introduced to all the animal babies (one octopus, two parrotfish, and so on) the babies "up and swam away!" The child is invited to play a counting game to find them all “from ten to one.”
- Includes a real-life photograph of each animal with interesting information about the species.
- All information is scientifically accurate. The author also explains the wide variety of ways in which animal parents care for their young.
Dawn Publications is dedicated to inspiring in children a deeper understanding and appreciation for all life on Earth.
What's New in Version 2.0
iOS 7 update
Fabulous book app! Love using it in speech therapy.
The Over in the Ocean In a Coral Reef is a fabulous book app! I used it today at the end of a speech therapy session with a 5 year old boy who has Autism. He had become a little over stimulated in the session. We used it in "sing the story" mode. He immediately calmed & smiled as he touched the interactive elements & counted the animals. I have this book and was thrilled to receive the app as a gift. The author's calming voice and the stunning illustrations make this app quite special. Hope to see all of this author's books made into apps :)
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 01, 2013
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 37.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dawn Publications
- © 2012, Dawn Publications
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.