Overcast: Podcast Player
By Overcast Radio, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A powerful yet simple audio podcast player, with features such as Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smarter Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get recommendations from Twitter.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional push notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- Navigate with CarPlay. (On supported car radios.)
- Apple Watch app, Glance, and notifications
What's New in Version 2.5.4
Sync fixes and improved battery life under heavy usage.
I was initially skeptical I could get into an app since I've enjoyed Apple's Podcasts app and have had a pretty carefully managed queue and backlog of many podcasts there.
Now I'm keeping up with a few dozen priority podcasts and cruising through a sizable backlog of others, usually at 1.2x, and always enjoying the Smart Speed feature. (118 hours of listening saved and counting. I'll use that time to, well, listen to more podcasts.)
The playlist and queuing features really won me over, and Smart Speed and vocal boost are almost always helpful, particularly in the car on road trips.
It also REALLY shows that Marco loves podcasts, both in his care and attention in the app, and the directory and other apps listed in the settings. This makes me very happy to support this app.
The sync and notifications are unsung heroes: since the server is checking for updates and pushing out notifications, Overcast has new episodes very quickly. Apple's Podcasts app still often take a day, let alone its sync problems.
Makes my podcast life so much easier
I used to use the apple podcast app and let's just say it's a pain. They have there's so closed down you have to jump through hoops just to add a RSS Feed. Overcast is great I just set my podcasts to download so whenever I'm home they just download and I have them all set for when I'm at work and when I drive. I work in machine shop so I have very long shifts with nothing but listening to the sounds of machines milling and turning. Podcasts really help keep my sanity and the automatic downloading and playing of new episodes in Overcast is just a life saver. Thank you
Great -- Could be Even Better
I'm a fan of Marco's software (and his podcast), and I've used Overcast now for over a year.
The secret sauce in this app are Voice Boost and Smart Speed. I use them on nearly every podcast I listen to.
I also upload medical school lectures to the Overcast server so that I may use these features to get through the dozens of hours of material each week.
There are two major ways I would like to see the upload feature improved:
1. Noise reduction should be an option. As it is, the noisy mp3s completely thwart the Smart Speed boost. This is a huge bummer, and requires that I either de-noise the file myself or just don't get to use the feature.
2. Using the share sheet on iOS to send .mp3s directly to the app for upload would be dramatically simpler for my workflow. As it is, it's easier just to break out a laptop than to send the file to Drive, wait for it to upload, then upload through the Overcast app.
Overall, a great app, however.
- Category: News
- Updated: May 18, 2016
- Version: 2.5.4
- Size: 5.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Overcast Radio, LLC
- © 2014–2016 Overcast Radio, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- 3-Month Optional Patronage$2.99
- 12-Month Optional Patronage$11.99
- 6-Month Optional Patronage$5.99