Overcast: Podcast Player
By Overcast Radio, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A powerful yet simple audio podcast player, with features such as Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smarter Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Now includes Apple Watch app, Glance, and notifications!
Note: Some features are locked or limited. The single "Unlock Everything" in-app purchase unlocks them all.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get recommendations from Twitter.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional push notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume. (Included in Unlock Everything.)
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation. (Included in Unlock Everything.)
- Navigate with CarPlay. (On supported car radios.)
- Apple Watch app, Glance, and notifications
What's New in Version 1.2
- Now includes Apple Watch app, Glance, and notifications
- Automatic deletion of played episodes can now be disabled
- Warmer tone for Voice Boost
- Share episodes at specific timestamps
- Bulk editing of notification and episode-limit settings
- Cancel/Start All buttons in Downloads screen
- Hold down the 30-second-skip buttons to advance to the previous or next podcast
Initial skepticism turns to podcast fun
I was skeptical I could get into an app since I've enjoyed Apple's Podcasts app and have had a pretty carefully managed queue and backlog of many podcasts there.
Weeks later, I'm cruising through my backlog, often at 1.2x, and always enjoying the Smart Speed feature. (47 hours of listening saved and counting. I'll use that time to, well, listen to more podcasts.)
The playlist and queuing features really won me over, so I'm slowly catching up on old podcasts and keeping up with priority ones alike.
It also REALLY shows that Marco loves podcasts, both in his care and attention in the app, and the directory and other apps listed in the settings. This made the upgrade *very* easy and makes me very eager to see where this app goes.
Smart Speed: Sounds cool, but you don't even notice it most times (with well-edited podcasts anyway), but it's doing its thing.
Voice Boost: Great for car listening or, well, any listening.
Sync/updating: Since the server is checking for updates and pushing out notifications, Overcast has the new episodes very quickly. Apple's Podcasts app would often take a day, or a tedious manual refresh of everything.
Elegant, simple, and most importantly works
It's not often you say a podcast app is elegant but today I found a little trick that really got me; There is no global setting for how many podcasts to keep but when I turned one up the rest of podcasts I added automatically kept it.
All in all I used this hours and hours in a day it's simple but has most everything I need and even some stuff I didn't realize would be so useful
UPDATE: the new update is so much more than just some watch add on! The new "nitpicky" stuff like remote episode skipping and low level tweaks is really cool, though I find the defaults to be very sane. The bulk editing of podcast notifications and keep setting is a very welcome feature though! I've run out of stars to give this app sadly
This is opinionated software, and I agree with it. I thought I'd miss streaming, but now appreciate just having episodes ready to play. The simple hierarchy works well for my listening habits, and tailoring preferences to each show is perfect. The playback interface is superb, and makes for very easy control whether I'm on the move or my car is.
Smart Speed is well worth upgrading, and is so well done I don't notice it — except that it shaves minutes off every podcast I listen to without affecting or distorting sound quality. It's already saved me 16 hours of listening time! Not sure whether that makes it an incredibly valuable feature or a priceless one. Either way, I love it.
- Category: News
- Updated: Apr 10, 2015
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 5.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Overcast Radio, LLC
- © 2014–2015 Overcast Radio, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Unlock Everything$4.99