Overcast: Podcast Player
By Overcast Radio, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A powerful yet simple audio podcast player, with features such as Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smarter Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get recommendations from Twitter.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional push notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- 3D Touch support
- Rich notifications
- Apple Watch app
- CarPlay support
Overcast is ad-supported. If you choose to purchase Overcast Premium to remove ads, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Current price for the Season Pass is $9.99 USD per year, and may vary from country to country.
What's New in Version 3.0.3
- Minor bug fixes
- The triumphant return of swipe-to-delete (in addition to the new UI)
Not Loving New Version
I've loved Overcast for quite sometime. However, I'm having 2 major problems with this update on my iPhone 6s (purchased new Nov 2016).
1. BATTERY LIFE: This new version has had significant impact on my battery life. As a test, last night I went to bed with the iPhone fully charged. Woke up this morning and battery was at 80%. Battery usage shows most of that was consumed by Overcast - I forget the exact percentage. I'm not a smart phone power user and have very few apps on my phone - no social media apps at all. All background notifications disabled.I didn't notice the impact on battery with the previous version.
2. IN-LINE HEADPHONE CONTROLS UNRESPONSIVE AFTER PAUSE: I always listen through my Apple earbuds and frequently have to pause the audio. In this new version clicking to play after a pause doesn't work after a short period of time has elapsed. To get it to play again I have to pick up the phone and manually click play to get things going again. Sometimes, I can continue to click the headphone control - say an additional 4 or 5 times and it will begint to play again - but not always. A pause, followed immediatly by a click to play works with no issues. This is a deal breaker for me because often, I'm unable to manually access the phone. I never had this problem in the old version. For my use case, this just doesn't work.
Has Changed My Life!
Okay, so the title may be a little crazy at first but it is serious...this app has changed the way I consume entertainment. So about 3 months ago from writing this review I started listening to podcasts on apple's podcast app, and then heard about overcast from my brother. I tried it out and loved the smart speed functionality!!! It has allowed me to catch up from the start of many podcasts! And that is just awesome!!! I also switched to the dark theme and the color combination is so beautiful and doesn't ever hurt my eyes looking at it too much! Finding podcasts is really simple and the recommendations of the app is great!!! Finally the title makes the most sense because I don't really listen to music any more, whereas I did nothing but listen to the same playlist of music that I had on my phone...and now that is off of my phone to make space for podcasts!!!!! So if you are looking at a way to catch up on a bunch of podcasts I defiantly would recommend this app to you!!!
For the most part, this update is awesome. Visually pleasing, easy to use, the sort by priority works pretty good. I have two small requests though. Please bring back the sleep "At end of track" option. I used that feature a lot especially if I'm listening to a longer podcast at night. That way I don't blow through all my unlistened episodes if I fall asleep. Second, if I don't have any episodes remaining in my priority podcast list, the next episode following what I'm listening to should play, not the first episode in the playlist. I have a number of 1-2 min podcasts and I like to get those listened to at the same time before moving onto ones that will take longer. Even if I move the episodes around to play in order, it always plays the first episode in my entire list.
- Category: News
- Updated: Mar 04, 2017
- Version: 3.0.3
- Size: 20.1 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Overcast Radio, LLC
- © 2014–2017 Overcast Radio, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Overcast Premium$9.99