By Overcast Radio, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A powerful yet simple audio podcast player, with features such as Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smarter Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get recommendations from Twitter.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional push notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- 3D Touch support
- Rich notifications
- Apple Watch app
- CarPlay support
Overcast is ad-supported. If you choose to purchase Overcast Premium to remove ads, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Current price for the Season Pass is $9.99 USD per year, and may vary from country to country.
What's New in Version 3.1.7
- Small fixes and improvements
- Added chapter navigation to Watch app and sped up the interface
- Sorry, I had to remove "Send to Watch" due to watchOS changes. Details at: https://marco.org/
A player that "Just Works"
Update: Slight change in monetization model, now has ad version or ad free for 10 dollars a year (people who gave money to Overcast before v2.5 don't have to pay to remove ads but do have to pay to unlock file uploads). Original review stands, if you want something that you never have to think about because it just works, this is the app for you. Want tons of custome options, probably won't suit your needs. Fits my needs perfectly so I'm happy with a 5/5.
Original: Not complicated at all, the smart playlist option combined with a few preferences makes it so what I want to listen to most is at the top. I wouldn't mind a few hidden options for advanced users, but if you want something that just works, this is it.
"Send to watch" brought me to overcast now went to watch player
I am convinced that this is a great podcast player worth a high rating. However, I started using it precisely because of the 'send to watch' function. I now must look elsewhere. I have found the app Watch Player which is dedicated to just sending podcasts to the watch. It will do for my jogging and I will rate it after using it for a while. Please reconsider your decision to drop this important function.
Update: Thanks for the response and I look forward to seeing this feature come back. In view of that prospect I have given four stars and will change to five when it's back.
Awesome!!!! Used to be. (Sigh)
I loved this app, and still do the parts that drew me to it in the first place. It is easy to use. It has a streamlined interface that works great in the car. It works great period. It is the only app I have ever recommended to people without solicitation.
Now the sucky part. When I first got the app you could pay about 5 bucks one time and get the pro version without ads. It was so nice. Something I turned on and saw only the app interface. In the latest version, because I paid my 5 bucks, I now have "limited ads" that showed up at the bottom of the screen when I play an episode. To get rid of those would cost 10 bucks A YEAR! It's because of this kind of thing I got rid of Stitcher. Guess I'll be getting rid of Overcast soon as well.
- Category: News
- Updated: Aug 10, 2017
- Version: 3.1.7
- Size: 19.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Overcast Radio, LLC
- © 2014–2017 Overcast Radio, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Overcast Premium$9.99