OverDrive – Library eBooks and Audiobooks
By OverDrive, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Borrow eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video from your library using OverDrive on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. More than 30,000 libraries worldwide offer titles from OverDrive, so download the app and find your next book today!
Having problems with font size in some books on iOS 10? See http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/2574801 for help.
• Available 24/7, now the library comes to you.
• No more late fees. Titles are automatically returned.
• Place holds, create wish lists, and return titles easily.
• Sync libraries, bookmarks, and recent positions across mobile devices.
• A valid account with a participating library, school, or other institution is required.
• Each library builds its own collection of titles. Contact them directly to let them know that you’re using OverDrive and to share any suggestions for books you would like to see them carry.
What's New in Version 3.7.0
• You missed the clock (and the rest of the status bar) in the eBook reader - so it's back in v3.7.0!
• We made several improvements related to downloading and opening eBooks - thanks for your patience.
• The app now shows an indication on the bookshelf if all of the parts of a book aren't downloaded.
• Improved eBook cover display and other minor improvements.
Love the app, needs some tweaks
First, I love this app. Have been using it for about 5 years to download books to my phone. For me, it works beautifully, but I have three suggestions:
1). I have several pages of Wish List books. If I'm looking for a particular book in the list, I HATE having to scroll to the bottom of each page before I can forward to the next one. Please duplicate the page number/forward icons/option at the top of each page, so users can access it immediately.
2). I appreciate knowing where I am in the checkout queue (23 of 4 copies) for example. But when I am next in line (1 of 1 copies) could you write an algorithm to let me know the date the current reader's checkout is up? Surely the program knows when they downloaded it, and whether it's a 7 or 14 day usage. So perhaps my Hold could say "you are next in line, 1 of 1 copies, available on or before September 17" (for example). I realize some people might finish the book in 2 days, and others 2 weeks, but at least this information would give me an option to download another book to read in the meantime.
3). How about adding a contact site on the Overdrive home page, so readers can email suggestions to you? Most apps have this feature.
Otherwise, thanks for a great app.
No more physical trips to the library
Which is great if your library isn't really close by. There is a lot of room for improvement in this app, most of which has been covered by others. The feature I want to see is an addition of a 10 minute option in the sleep timer. 5 minutes is too short and 15 is too long as I often fall asleep before it finishes and have to backtrack the next day. I also wish that if books are part of a series, that the entire series would be available. I hate starting a series only to find that books 3-5 are missing. Or only the third book of a trilogy is available through the app. The one feature that is an absolute necessity, is an option for consecutive downloads for audio books instead of concurrent. My internet connection is slow and when all parts of a book are downloading at once, it takes an hour or more before I can start listening.
Can't download audiobooks since upgrade!
I loved this app, but after the last upgrade I have been unable to download audiobooks from my library! So the books are sitting under loans in my libraries and the days are ticking away. Fortunately I have one book downloaded from before the upgrade so I can listen to that. Please fix!
Update: Since I can't download my audiobooks from the library, I can't return them early either because you can only return from Overdrive and not the library. So even if you listen to audiobooks thru the browser, once you finish them or decide you don't like them and want to return them you can't. So you are stuck with the loans you have and no way to get rid of them. So very frustrating! I used to love this app and told everyone about it. Please hurry up and resolve this! I wish a bright status bar was my issue!
Update 2: Now the browser doesn't work with audiobooks. OMG! I have been addicted to overdrive and have been listening to 2-3 audiobooks per week. I'm going thru withdrawal! Help!
- Category: Books
- Updated: Aug 29, 2017
- Version: 3.7.0
- Size: 41.4 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: OverDrive, Inc.
- © 2016 OverDrive, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.