OverDrive – Library eBooks and Audiobooks
By OverDrive, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Borrow eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video from your library using OverDrive on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. More than 30,000 libraries worldwide offer titles from OverDrive, so download the app and find your next book today!
Having problems with font size in some books on iOS 10? See http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/2574801 for help.
• Available 24/7, now the library comes to you.
• No more late fees. Titles are automatically returned.
• Place holds, create wish lists, and return titles easily.
• Sync libraries, bookmarks, and recent positions across mobile devices.
• A valid account with a participating library, school, or other institution is required.
• Each library builds its own collection of titles. Contact them directly to let them know that you’re using OverDrive and to share any suggestions for books you would like to see them carry.
What's New in Version 3.5.8
• Updated the minimum supported iOS version to iOS 8.
• Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash when adjusting eBook layout at the end of a chapter.
• Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash when re-downloading files for an expired audiobook.
Current Update - Spotty performance
So they updated the app. Did it fix the font bug? NO. I ran a software development team for a few years and if my developers were so stupid I would have had them fired.
On this update my ipad updated to IOS 10 and the fonts on some of my books are tiny and can't be adjusted. When I try to change the font size the app crashes. Obviously this makes the books unreadable. And the "fix" described in the help does not work. Overdrive does not appear to be responsive to fixing bugs. It takes an enormous amount of time. It appears they don't care about consumer views of software performance since I have seen a number of comments on line about this unfixed bug.
I have an iPad and a iPad mini. Updated both and on the iPad the performance was fine. On the mini it kept crashing when I tried to download books. I had to delete the app and reinstall it. Which meant that I needed to add back all the things you don't think of like the log in info (library card numbers are MANY digits) as well as all the ePub info. I use the mini as my book for the train. If it wasn't so convenient I would not have done it.
Thanks to the Overdrive team for fixing that IOS 10 font glitch. It was getting me down, having the font be so small and not finding relief with the suggested go-arounds.
This is a wonderful app, very easy to use. I love having the ability to return my library ebook checkouts early (so I can check out more!). I really like the preview option for both ebooks and audiobooks. I have rejected some audiobooks because the narrator was just terrible. (Which should not reflect on the books nor on the app)
I use this app often - which I would not do if it was not the best available for its purpose.
I love books
Sometimes you just want someone to read to you. I got this app to take advantage of my library audio book selection. It has been a great way to pass the time on long flights & anywhere you need to kill time. The option to stream online or download gives it a lot of versatility. Great app. Very happy w it! All you need is a library card.