OverDrive – Library eBooks and Audiobooks
By OverDrive, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Borrow eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video from your library using OverDrive on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. More than 30,000 libraries worldwide offer titles from OverDrive, so download the app and find your next book today!
Having problems with font size in some books on iOS 10? See http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/2574801 for help.
• Available 24/7, now the library comes to you.
• No more late fees. Titles are automatically returned.
• Place holds, create wish lists, and return titles easily.
• Sync libraries, bookmarks, and recent positions across mobile devices.
• A valid account with a participating library, school, or other institution is required.
• Each library builds its own collection of titles. Contact them directly to let them know that you’re using OverDrive and to share any suggestions for books you would like to see them carry.
What's New in Version 3.6.3
• Performance improvements and bug fixes related to downloading, opening, and paging through eBooks, particularly large eBooks.
• Fixes a bug that prevents audiobook playback from resuming when using headphone controls.
• Fixes a few minor bugs related to eBook lighting options.
Overdrive Shuts down
I just updated to version 3.6.3. Since doing this when I download a new book, I just get the first page displayed and Overdrive then closes, returning my iPad to the home page. Some times I can begin turning pages immediately and Overdrive performs OK. At other times it doesn't. Once I get it working right, I can then read the entire book alright. It's just the problem of getting new downloads to keep displaying without Overdrive shutting down. If I have two books downloaded and have gotten one to display OK, it will continue to resume each day where it was closed. The second one, however, if not working right will still shut Overdrive down. Even if I get the books working OK, sometimes only the left or right half of a page is displayed. I can correct this by paging forward several pages and back again. The previous version of Overdrive did not have these problems. My iPad is operating on the latest IOS version.
OverDrive changed my life
Amazing. Discovering OverDrive has changed my life! I've always been one of those people who wants to read (and has stacks of books to prove it), but never really gets around to it. Cue OverDrive. I have an hour's commute each day, and getting to spend an hour in insightful and wonderful literature (instead of listening to the latest pop songs on the radio- tough choice). I'm fortunate to have a membership to a large library with a vast amount of e-audiobooks, enriching my experience with this app.
Along with all the above, OverDrive has also made me a kinder driver in Seattle traffic; I enjoy my commute instead of yelling profanities at the sheer amount of cars I must share the freeway with.
Thanks OverDrive. I'm a fan! ✌🏽
Pretty Good - not Polished
I am enjoying listening to audio books from the Brooklyn Public Library - my local North Carolina library doesn't support Overdrive so I purchased a non-resident membership at BPL.
My only complaint is that the app isn't nearly as polished as Audible's app. Hard to complain for the difference in price - BPL non-resident membership is only $50 for the year - much cheaper than Audible! But I really miss being able to see the amount of time remaining in my book. I can create a bookmark and see the percentage of my progress through the book, but not being able to see time listened or time remaining is a bummer.
I also loved that I could see total time listened today, this week, and this year in Audible, and I wish I could have they feature in Overdrive as well.
I've gone to the Overdrive web site a few times and can't find any place to leave an app suggestion. Too bad they don't have a blog or anything for feedback. Well, maybe some Overdrive staff will read it here.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: Feb 22, 2017
- Version: 3.6.3
- Size: 39.8 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: OverDrive, Inc.
- © 2016 OverDrive, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.