OverDrive Media Console – Library eBooks and Audiobooks
By OverDrive, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Read eBooks and listen to audiobooks from your library using OverDrive Media Console on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. More than 22,000 libraries worldwide offer titles via OverDrive, so download the app and add your library today.
· Available 24/7, your library never closes.
· No more late fees. Titles are automatically returned.
· Place holds, create wish lists, and return titles easily.
· A valid account with a participating library, school, or other institution is required.
· Each library builds its own collection of titles. Contact them directly to let them know that you’re using OMC and to share any suggestions for books you would like to see them carry.
· New look. Simplified menus put everything a swipe and a tap away.
Sync recent position and bookmarks across devices using OverDrive One. Please note:
· OverDrive Media Console v3 must be installed on all devices.
· OverDrive Media Console v3 must be authorized with the same Adobe ID on all devices.
· The same OverDrive One account must be used to log in on all devices.
· Titles must be downloaded to all devices.
What's New in Version 3.0.3
· Fixes a bug that prevented the Dictionary from opening.
· Fixes a bug that prevented some users from accessing History.
· Fixes syncing issues with OverDrive One.
· Fixes display issues on the iPhone in landscape mode.
· Other bug fixes and improvements.
Does what it's supposed to do.
The app is stable and has enough reading and/or listening options to satisfy most. It now synchs smoothly between devices, which was the only issue keeping me from giving it five stars before.
The only issues I continue to have are with the website, which is managed by the individual libraries from my understanding, so I don't feel the app rating should reflect those issues.
Again, I give the app five stars because it does what it's supposed to do, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved. Below are a few suggestions for making it an even better app.
- When getting new items, allow the user to view and borrow them regardless of compatibility with the current device. The user can still filter by device type and can only download compatible items. For example, when I use my iPad to browse for new items the wma audiobooks are hidden, so I have to get on my computer just to view those for my other devices.
- Allow the user to rate (select the number of stars) the item in the app.
- Show the status of the user's Holds in the app.
Is this a secret psych experiment about coping with rage?
I don't know where to start with this miserable, hapless app. I know it's trying to help. But so is the dog who destroys my living room while trying to catch a bee.
It forgets about files it's downloaded, cycling them from "downloaded" to "processing" to "not downloaded" (by the testimony of its own file queue).
It defaults to downloading via cellular signal, but does not tell you that it's doing so. This blew my entire monthly data budget once when I lost wifi signal while downloading a few audiobooks at once and it just quietly kept chugging along.
It is less stable than my entire app stable put together. I am not hyperbolizing. I have had to force quit this program more times than I have had to force quit every other app I own.
Sometimes it forgets that I want it to keep playing even when the display screen is turned off. Which entirely defeats the exercise of putting an audiobook on while going about your chores.
It can't download files in the background. Why can't it download files in the background? Every other app I have ever used which downloads things can download files in the background.
It generally refuses to start playing an audiobook until the *whole* audiobook is downloaded. And see above, with regard to its tendency to forget about bits of the audiobook already downloaded.
Irritating Bugs, Nice App, Good Potential
Grateful to have this app. Occasional freezes, sometimes it opens in a weird screen, normal stuff like that.
Major gripe: please, please fix the bug that causes audio books to skip ahead, mid-sentence, without any prompting. It's lovely to drive along listening to a book. It's less lovely to have to pull over and figure out where the heck you were in a chapter because the program got the hiccups.
It'd be nice if adding a bookmark actually did something to help you find the page later.
Occasionally it's impossible to return a book and instead you have to wait for the two week lending period to be over. Fine for me but crummy for the next person on the wait list.
It'd be nice if you didn't need to sign in to the library every time you switch from your bookshelf to the library's database. Maybe a Stay Signed In feature that lasted a whole day.
Would love to see dozens more titles, of course.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Oct 30, 2013
- Version: 3.0.3
- Size: 17.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: OverDrive, Inc.
- © 2013 OverDrive, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.