OverDrive – Library eBooks and Audiobooks
By OverDrive, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Borrow eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video from your library using OverDrive on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. More than 30,000 libraries worldwide offer titles from OverDrive, so download the app and find your next book today!
• Available 24/7, now the library comes to you.
• No more late fees. Titles are automatically returned.
• Place holds, create wish lists, and return titles easily.
• Sync libraries, bookmarks, and recent positions across mobile devices.
• A valid account with a participating library, school, or other institution is required.
• Each library builds its own collection of titles. Contact them directly to let them know that you’re using OverDrive and to share any suggestions for books you would like to see them carry.
What's New in Version 3.3.0
• New dyslexic font option
• Bug fixes, including a fix for problems playing some audiobooks
Works great for library audiobooks
I use this app daily to listen to audiobooks I get from my library. Overall, I love its usability, but there are some annoyances.
1. It "usually" saves your place. I listen to my books with Bluetooth in the car, a Bluetooth headset sometimes, or use my phone speakers. Sometimes the app won't remember the correct place when it switches between output methods. As in, I'll pause it in my car (through the car stereo), and when I go to play later with just the phone speakers, it reverts back to where I was before listening in the car.
2. I wish it could save my library password for my saved library, instead of having to type it in every time I want to get new books.
3. Like another person said, when I do sign into the library, it alerts me that a particular book has been added to my wish list (this was weeks ago, and I've since checked the book out, but this notice won't go away). It's only happened with one specific book. This is a pretty minor annoyance though.
Overall, I LOVE being able to listen to free audiobooks through my library. This app is tons better than it used to be (years ago) and it makes my commute and even housework enjoyable to get to "read" my books while doing something else. Also, I have been able to use other phone features while a book is playing. If I take a call, it will just resume playing after I hang up. And I can multitask with other apps no problem.
Great app for bookworms & it's free!
I work at a public library and our library offers OverDrive to our patrons. A big part of my job is teaching people about the app & how to use it on their various devices. Like all "techy" apps, OD occasionally has some glitches, but they are very good about sending updates. One of my fav things about OD is that if I'm reading a book on one device & switch to another, the app tells me I was further along on the other one and asks if I would like to catch up! Awesome! Also, if your device suddenly dies or shuts down & you reopen it after charging, it will pick up on the same page that you left off on! You can also switch between different books and every time you open a book you'll be right back where you left off. Amazing! Overall, I have no complaints with it. It is also FREE!!!! All you need is a library card, and most of those are free at the library as well! :)
Love it! Great way to virtually go to the library
I used to absolutely love this app. It's great to have a way to go to the library any time I want. Absolutely a dream. I've read so many more books just bc the interface is so simple. However, recently the update has wonked everything up. Now when I renew a book, it has doubled the parts and I have to download 2 of each or try and guess which is the correct one that will play....or download the same section twice. It's super frustrating bc I often listen while I'm out driving & if it won't play I have to use my data or do a different book. This is quite annoying. Please fix.
It's also really not helpful that I have to sign in and have an account, but my book history didn't transfer from my previous phone? Why not? I thought that is one of the benefits of having an account, your information travels with you.
Still the best way to connect to my libraries and rent books. I love this and I love the easy browsability of it as well.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: Mar 31, 2015
- Version: 3.3.0
- Size: 23.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: OverDrive, Inc.
- © 2015 OverDrive, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.