“Oxenfree takes the best parts of supernatural 1980's teenage horror films and combines it with believable characters, beautiful set pieces, and a haunting VHS synth-pop soundtrack to create a masterpiece.” - 10/10 from CGMagOnline
"What “Stranger Things” was to Netflix, “Oxenfree” was to the video game world." - LA TIMES
"Oxenfree stands firm as a smart supernatural tale that crawls to a chilling end." - KILLSCREEN
“There’s no filler here, just an increasingly fascinating, emotional story steeped in the paranormal. Night School Studio’s first effort is a brilliant one.” - FORBES
The critically acclaimed, mind-bending adventure comes to iOS with custom touch controls.
Oxenfree is a supernatural thriller about a group of friends who unwittingly open a ghostly rift. Play as Alex, a bright, rebellious teenager who brings her new stepbrother Jonas to an overnight party on an old military island. The night takes a terrifying turn when you unwittingly open a ghostly gate spawned from the island’s cryptic past. How you deal with these events, your peers, and the ominous creatures you’ve unleashed is up to you.
Determine every aspect of Alex's story while exploring Edwards Island, uncovering the base's dark past, and changing the course of your friends' lives.
• Oxenfree can be played in both touchscreen and controller modes, allowing you to switch between play styles seamlessly.
• An intelligent conversation system changes the story and your relationships based on every decision.
• The unique radio mechanic allows Alex to communicate with mysterious spectres and manipulate her world.
• Multiple mysteries to unravel, spanning decades and lifetimes.
Fixed a late-game crash on iPhone 5S and iPhone 6.
Ratings and Reviews
Teenagers go to a remote place, weird stuff happens. That we’ve seen. From there, though, this indie adventure floored us with a fresh take on coming-of-age stories and the supernatural. The dialogue and characters, the striking visuals—games rarely feel so rich. “We hope people finish Oxenfree knowing that their choices mattered,” the devs told us. Mission accomplished: watching our decisions shape the outcome was deeply rewarding.
I've been recommending this game to everyone and anyone. The story, the setting, the characters, the development, the dialogue, and the design are nothing like I've played before. I didn't know what to expect with this game, but I'm glad I bought it, $4 was insanely worth the brilliance of this game. It was easy to catch on how to play, and none of the problems were extremely difficult that I had to look up answers.
I love being scared and startled, and getting sucked into another world, and I finally found a game that perfectly gave that, being a thriller, horror, comedy, romance, and mystery all in one. This is the kind of "make your own choices" game that every game should be. It was exactly like real life where you get to choose what to say and when to say it in a conversation. The never ending dialogue was enjoyable as well.
The only struggle I had with this game was I was never 100% sure I was going the right direction. It also doesn't save when you want it to, but I caught on that it saves whenever you change location.
I'm not going to complain with how much storage it takes up or that it drains your battery, because you should expect that to happen with a game like this. Surprisingly, it didn't overheat my phone like other games have done, so that was a plus.
Overall, I hope to stumble upon a game like this in the future, though I know nothing will live up to the magic of this one.
This game... THIS game.
So, if you’re like me, you only buy app games once every couple of months, if that. But when you do, you spend a looooong time trying to find juuust the right one, so you don’t waste this golden opportunity of spending for pleasure. I wanted something with heart, with a strong story, multidimensional characters, and, most importantly, the ability to unnerve me. Lemme tell you: I found all that, and much more. It was difficult for me to even go to sleep after starting it. I had to force myself to put it down, and immediately gravitated towards it once I was awake again. And playing it at night? BONUS. Totally unnerved me, to the point I had to make one of my pet rats accompany me downstairs to get some water in the dark, put him on my shoulder and told him to play lookout. This game was sending chills down my spin, delicious, spin-tingling chills. I love being scared in the way this game does so well. And now that I’ve finished it for the first time? I want to start all over and try for another ending. It’s all so intriguing, that playing again for new results feels like a fresh adventure and not a chore. If you enjoy unnerving stories, Poltergeist, Stephen King, Stranger Things, scary stories to tell in the dark, and the like, then you’re gonna love this game. And yes, it’s worth the $4.99.
- Night School Studio, LLC
- 1.5 GB
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2016 Night School Studio, LLC
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.