Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary
By Oxford University Press
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
100 SAMPLE ENTRIES ONLY. This free download gives you 100 sample entries from the new OALD 9th edition. You will not be able to cross-refer from these entries to other words that are in the full dictionary. To have access to the full dictionary you will need to buy it via in-app purchase. *All existing users of the OALD8 app can also re-download OALD8 from the Catalogue tab to continue using it for free.*
IMPORTANT: the price you will pay for the OALD9 in-app purchase will depend on whether you are a new user of OALD or whether you are an existing user (someone who previously bought the OALD8 app).
If you are a new user, you will pay the full price for OALD9.
If you are an existing user who bought the OALD8 app before 3 June 2015, you can upgrade to OALD9 at an 80% discount.
If you are an existing user who bought the OALD8 app on or after 3 June 2015, you can upgrade to OALD9 for free.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any queries or require any assistance with the OALD app.
Over 100 million English language learners have used Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) to develop their English skills for work and study.
Use OALD to understand what words mean, learn how to say them, and know how to use them.
With the OALD app you can:
• find over 185,000 words, phrases, and meanings - including 900 new words and meanings.
• trust the clear explanations and example sentences from the authoritative Oxford English Corpus.
Improve your pronunciation and get added listening practice
• Listen to real voice audio for words and example sentences, in both British and American English accents
• Access the high-quality audio online, or download over 116,000 sentences to listen offline
• Practise your pronunciation by listening to the audio, recording your own voice and playing it back to compare
Expand your vocabulary and produce more natural sounding English
• Learn synonyms, collocations (words which go together) and everyday expressions
• Learn the Oxford 3000 - the most important words to know in English
• Use colour illustrations to enrich your vocabulary
• Search for and study phrasal verbs and idioms
• Learn lists of related vocabulary with pre-loaded Favourites folders
Navigate quickly to find exactly what you want
• Use Full Text Search to find your word in any idiom, phrasal verb, or example sentence in the dictionary
• Tap any word in an entry to instantly look it up
• Look up words directly from many popular apps, such as Safari
Organise and personalize your favourite entries
• create lists of your Favourites, and create folders and subfolders to store them
• export your Favourite lists and History list
What's New in Version 2.1
• We have added support for Split View and Slide Over multitasking and you can now search for your Favourites entries via Spotlight Search (iOS 9 and compatible devices only).
• OALD9 is now compatible with Apple Watch – you can look up words, open entries, listen to headword audio, and there is a Word of the Day feature. Please note that you need to have the full OALD9 dictionary installed.
• We have also fixed some bugs and made some other general improvements.
• All your Favourites and any downloaded example sentences will be preserved when you update.
Very comprehensive and full of features.
I think this dictionary is worth its weight in gold. It provides comprehensive definitions, plus example sentences, and it also comes with extra features such as collocations, word origins and some grammar notes. Very valuable resource for those who are preparing for IELTS and TOEFL exams. Thanks OALD Team!
The best dictionary
I've been using the app for years . I recommend this app to everybody that I know . And for those who review this app 1 star just ignore them cos they just want the best app without paying . Oxford team , thank you for this great app and I hope u continue to make this app better in the future . 😎🇰🇭🇰🇭😍
A demo app that is useless unless you pay
This app is a demo. It only has less than 50 words unless you want to pay the full price. I was expecting an ad supported version where I could use the majority of the features without hindrance.
Oxford, do consider an ad supported version of the app. And, you can make some features such as viewing more examples as part of a paid package. That's where the current app business industry lie.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 16, 2016
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 57.1 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Russian
- Seller: Oxford University Press ELT
- © 2015 Oxford University Press
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Re-download purchased OALD8Free
- OALD9 discounted upgrade$5.99
- OALD9 full price$29.99
- OALD9 free upgradeFree