Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary
By Oxford University Press
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
100 SAMPLE ENTRIES ONLY. This free download gives you 100 sample entries from the new OALD 9th edition. You will not be able to cross-refer from these entries to other words that are in the full dictionary. To have access to the full dictionary with all features you will need to buy it via in-app purchase. *All existing users of the OALD8 app can also re-download OALD8 from the Catalogue tab to continue using it for free.*
IMPORTANT: the price you will pay for the OALD9 in-app purchase will depend on whether you are a new user of OALD or whether you are an existing user (someone who previously bought the OALD8 app).
If you are a new user, you will pay the full price for OALD9.
If you are an existing user, you can upgrade to OALD9 for a discount.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries or require any assistance with the OALD app.
Over 100 million English language learners have used Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) to develop their English skills for work and study.
Use OALD to understand what words mean, learn how to say them, and know how to use them.
With the OALD app you can:
• find over 185,000 words, phrases, and meanings - including 900 new words and meanings.
• trust the clear explanations and example sentences from the authoritative Oxford English Corpus.
Improve your pronunciation and get added listening practice
• Listen to real voice audio for words and example sentences, in both British and American English accents
• Access the high-quality audio online, or download over 116,000 sentences to listen offline
• Practise your pronunciation by listening to the audio, recording your own voice and playing it back to compare
Expand your vocabulary and produce more natural sounding English
• Learn synonyms, collocations (words which go together) and everyday expressions
• Learn the Oxford 3000 - the most important words to know in English
• Use colour illustrations to enrich your vocabulary
• Search for and study phrasal verbs and idioms
• Learn lists of related vocabulary with pre-loaded Favourites folders
Navigate quickly to find exactly what you want
• Use Full Text Search to find your word in any idiom, phrasal verb, or example sentence in the dictionary
• Tap any word in an entry to instantly look it up
• Look up words directly from many popular apps, such as Safari
Organise and personalize your favourite entries
• Create lists of your Favourites, and create folders and subfolders to store them
• Export your Favourite lists and History list
OALD9 is compatible with Apple Watch – you can look up words, open entries, listen to headword audio, and there is a Word of the Day feature. Please note that you need to have the full OALD9 dictionary installed.
What's New in Version 2.2.1
Thanks to your feedback, we’ve fixed a problem with spoken sentences. You will now be able to download them.
Three other features you previously requested are still there.
• You can sync Favourites and History across your devices with iCloud.
• Full screen mode is available for iPad so you can hide the index panel.
• More suggestions are offered when you search for words in OALD from other apps.
All your Favourites and any downloaded example sentences will be preserved when you update.
Suggestion for a new feature
This is my favorite dictionary! I use this application every single day! It's very amazing, cool features, idioms, definitions, opposite words, similar words! Tones of great features
I have one suggestion, I don't know if my suggestion can be made or not, but this feature is what I need! And I believe if other users know about this feature, they will think that they need this too!
I call this (Backward Feature), now if we want a definition of a specific word, we have to type the #Word, and then we got it! But what if we do the opposite? According to what you want in your essay, sentence, etc. you can write a definition, and then there would be suggested word similar to what you have already!
I believe this can be made, and this will make the application #1!
Please guys, make this happen! I wanted to suggest this on the last feedback that has been sent, but I couldn't! I hope my review can be seen!
Flash card & making notes
I admire Oxford Team for this beautiful and amazing app, I really amazed by the techniques that this app has, such as, zooming all the contents easily and hyperlink between all the words, but the only feature I'm waiting you add to this app is the FLASHCARD system, also, we will be able to MAKE NOTES for the favorite words. Please, add this feature to your app because it is so much important for us and via it we can memorize the favorite words easily and better grasping. Thanks again
Search top bar!
Watch app must be optimized! It takes forever to receive a definition on my Apple Watch. Another annoying thing is that when we want to search another word we have to go back to the main screen and then type it in the search bar. There should be a permanent search bar on the top of the app.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 14, 2016
- Version: 2.2.1
- Size: 94.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Russian
- Seller: Oxford University Press ELT
- © 2015 Oxford University Press
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Re-download purchased OALD8Free
- OALD9 full price$31.99
- OALD9 discounted upgrade$23.99
- OALD9 NAmE spoken sentencesFree
- OALD9 BrE spoken sentencesFree
- OALD9 free upgradeFree
- OALD8 NAmE spoken sentencesFree
- OALD8 BrE spoken sentencesFree