Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 8th edition
By Oxford University Press
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
PLEASE READ: This app is the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 8th edition. We would like to inform prospective customers that the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 9th edition is coming to the Mac App Store in June/July 2017.
The new OALD9 app will contain even more words and meanings, new pronunciation practice, plus improved Favourites with the ability to create folders and subfolder, as well as pre-loaded lists of related words to learn.
You may prefer to wait until OALD9 is released instead of purchasing the OALD8 app now.
If you do buy OALD8 now, you will receive a discount on any purchase of the OALD9 app in the Mac App Store.
IMPORTANT: This free download will give you sample entries from the dictionary. An in-app purchase is required to activate the full dictionary.
Improve your English language skills with the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. Understand what words mean. Learn how to say them. Know how to use them.
The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) is a world best-seller. It is now available as an app, with the full A-Z dictionary, real voice (not text to speech) audio, and My View to customize your screen. It has been developed by the same editors from Oxford University Press who created the printed dictionary, working together with Paragon Software, a leading software developer for mobile devices.
Find exactly what you are looking for, fast:
• Listen to real British and American voices pronounce words and example sentences.
• Access the high quality audio online, or download all 116,000 example sentences to listen offline
• All the dictionary text is live- tap to instantly look up any word
• Use My View to choose how much information appears on your screen – hide IPA, example sentences, pictures, synonyms etc. – tap to show the full entry again
• Find words with similar or opposite meanings in the integrated Thesaurus
• Use Full Dictionary Search to find your word in any phrase or example sentence in the dictionary
• ‘Did you mean…?’ function and wildcard search allow you to find a word even if you don’t know the spelling
• Create your own list of favourite words
• Tap on phonetics, abbreviations and symbols for help with what they mean
• View History to see the last 100 words you looked up
Learn more with a dictionary that’s written for learners of English
• 184,500 words, phrases and meanings explained clearly
• Easy-to-understand explanations written using the 3000-word defining vocabulary
• Use the Oxford 3000 keyword entries to learn the most important words in English
• Look up over 57,000 synonyms and opposites
• Learn words in their natural context with over 83,000 collocations (words that go together) highlighted
• Find the Academic Word List words easily – they are all labelled
• Notes give extra help in difficult areas, for example the differences between similar words, tricky points of grammar, or British and American usage
• Find information about British and American culture
• 1000 new words and meanings keep you up-to-date with today’s vocabulary and usage
• 1300 words illustrated in groups build your topic vocabulary. You can enlarge and explore the illustrations.
• Access over 95,000 extra example sentences
• Study all verb forms, and word origins
What's New in Version 8.7.21
Some users were experiencing problems with downloading the full app. This has now been fixed.
-- What's new in 8.6.946--
Please read – important news about this update!
This update introduces the new in-app purchase model. When you update the app, you will receive sample entries from the dictionary. You can re-activate the full dictionary for free by making an in-app purchase. Your Favourites will be preserved.
We have added a News feature, so that you can receive News from Oxford University about product discounts, language learning and teaching blogs, and other relevant matters.
It is useless now
I have purchased it a few years ago and it has been working anyhow till this update. After upgrading the app yesterday, it doesn’t download and it takes forever. In my case, I have kept my macbook pro 15 on the whole night and its download progress didn’t move a pixel forward. Why we can’t simply download it from the app store with all of its data?
Problem still not fixed.
The problem is still not fixed!!! It is impossible to download now. Where are the technicians?
i bought it for my iphone and i tought it would be enough . but now i download it for my mac book and its again asking for money … i realy dont like it :|
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jan 25, 2017
- Version: 8.7.21
- Size: 101 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Oxford University Press ELT
- © 2014 Oxford University Press
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later
Top In-App Purchases
- OALD, 8th edition - download for existing usersFree
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 8th edition$29.99
- OALD8 NAmE spoken sentencesFree
- OALD8 BrE spoken sentencesFree