Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 8th edition
By Oxford University Press
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Improve your English language skills with the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. Understand what words mean. Learn how to say them. Know how to use them.
The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) is a world best-seller. It is now available as an app, with the full A-Z dictionary, real voice (not text to speech) audio, and My View to customize your screen. It has been developed by the same editors from Oxford University Press who created the printed dictionary, working together with Paragon Software, a leading software developer for mobile devices.
Find exactly what you are looking for, fast:
• Listen to real British and American voices pronounce words and example sentences.
• Access the high quality audio online, or download all 116,000 example sentences to listen offline
• All the dictionary text is live- tap to instantly look up any word
• Use My View to choose how much information appears on your screen – hide IPA, example sentences, pictures, synonyms etc. – tap to show the full entry again
• Find words with similar or opposite meanings in the integrated Thesaurus
• Use Full Dictionary Search to find your word in any phrase or example sentence in the dictionary
• ‘Did you mean…?’ function and wildcard search allow you to find a word even if you don’t know the spelling
• Create your own list of favourite words
• Tap on phonetics, abbreviations and symbols for help with what they mean
• View History to see the last 100 words you looked up
Learn more with a dictionary that’s written for learners of English
• 184,500 words, phrases and meanings explained clearly
• Easy-to-understand explanations written using the 3000-word defining vocabulary
• Use the Oxford 3000 keyword entries to learn the most important words in English
• Look up over 57,000 synonyms and opposites
• Learn words in their natural context with over 83,000 collocations (words that go together) highlighted
• Find the Academic Word List words easily – they are all labelled
• Notes give extra help in difficult areas, for example the differences between similar words, tricky points of grammar, or British and American usage
• Find information about British and American culture
• 1000 new words and meanings keep you up-to-date with today’s vocabulary and usage
• 1300 words illustrated in groups build your topic vocabulary. You can enlarge and explore the illustrations.
• Access over 95,000 extra example sentences
• Study all verb forms, and word origins
What's New in Version 8.5.275
In response to user feedback, we have fixed an error with the Look Up function.
Content Good, But lack of full Screen feature.
This is a great Dictionary app for English learners. English is not my first language, I find it very usefull to improve my English. There is only two things I don’t like, The first one is it lack of full screen model. and The icon is ugly to me. The icon of the original dictionary app on mac is beautiful. Anyway I hope the next update will bring a new beautiful icon!
want Genie feature included
I asked 2 questions before my purchase to support staff on 7 Feb, 2015.
One is about the Genie function and the other is about extra charge for downloading example sound files.
After a long wait, without receiving any respond from the support team, I decided to buy and try it for myself.
The support team of Oxford English Dictionary does not seem to work.
There is no genie feature on this version and I could download all the sound file.
I hope the next update will include the genie feature in this app.