With more than 350,000 words and phrases, hundreds of explanatory notes, and more than a thousand illustrations, this dictionary provides the most comprehensive and accurate coverage of American English available today.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Great dictionary - clear and helpful explanation with etymology
I have this Oxford American Dictionary on both my iPad and Macbook Pro. The dictionary came with the Macbook Pro when I got the laptop. The explanations in the iPad version are the same as those on the laptop. They are really straightfoward and easy to understand, much better the Webster dictioanry as the Webster sometimes only gives you a synonym as definition instead of a clear explanation.
The etymology (origin) section of this Oxford American Dictionary also helps tremendously, since you get to know how many English words are composed, where they come from. This makes remembering new words much easier. Many dictionaries do not have etymology notes to their words.
Although the iPad version costs you some money, it’s money well spent.
Stellar reference, unpleasant interface
The candy colored user interface of this dictionary app and its annoyingly frequent review requests of late gravely detract from the otherwise stellar content. The only reason to have this app is for convenience of access, supplementing the iOS built-in dictionaries, which are of equal caliber. It is sad to see such a quality resource get tarnished by bargain-basement behavior.
The definitions are authoritative, and are based on the same corpus as the full OED. I especially like the etymologies and the articles foregoing abbreviations. The latter is unnecessary for digital editions but too often lazily carries over from print editions by other dictionary publishers.
Best dictionary app out there
I have used this app for many years. It is my go to dictionary and comes in particularly handy for reading old classics where I often have to look up uncommon words. I always find the word I am looking for. I particularly like the etymology that tells me the origin of the words. You can even find common foreign phrases in this dictionary whether it be Latin, Greek or French. Overall, it is extremely helpful and very convenient to have it always right next to you on your phone. I wouldn’t do without it.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.