Oxford Dictionaries Quick Search
By Oxford University Press
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Oxford Dictionaries Quick Search - Free
The world's most trusted dictionary of current English is now available to access for free, directly from Oxford Dictionaries. Search for words and find clear, reliable definitions easily. Expand your vocabulary by browsing the dictionary and discover new and interesting words with our word of the day feature.
This simple look-up tool allows you to access a wealth of words from oxforddictionaries.com through a quick and easy-to-use touch interface. This app is free to download, and currently requires a data connection to access all content.
* Get clear and accurate definitions you can trust
* Switch between British & World English and American English
* Keep up to date with the latest new words via frequent free updates
* Word of the Day suggests interesting words to explore
* Click through to read recent articles from the OxfordWords blog
* Over 350,000 words, phrases, and meanings included
* Access content from Oxford's premium current British & World English and American English dictionaries: Oxford Dictionary of English and New Oxford American Dictionary
* Cross-references allow you to navigate from entry to entry, and find out more about your search term
* 'Did you mean?' fuzzy search capability returns answers even when you're not sure of the spelling
* This app currently requires a data connection to operate
What's New in Version 1.1.1
* Fix for Word of the Day display problem
Nice to have, but clunky
I'm glad that this app exists — I find it very strange that Apple has the Oxford dictionary but not an app for it — but it is a bit clunky: it doesn't feel like an iOS app. It feels like a web page wrapped up as an app. The user interface is not in keeping with the style of the OS, feels sluggish, and is generally not terribly pleasant to use. I would like to see Oxford make something that feels as if it were made specifically for iOS instead of riveted together as a stopgap.
Works just fine
Finally, a convenient little dictionary for my iPad. I've had no issues with connectivity, and it seems fast and reliable. I really like being able to switch between international and U.S. dictionaries, though a simple toggle would slightly more convenient.
This is the first time I felt compelled to write a review--I have always loved the Oxford dictionaries, so thank you for making it available to everyone and so easily accessible!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 01, 2014
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 14.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Oxford University Press ELT
- © 2014 Oxford University Press
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.