Oxford Dictionary of English is widely accepted as one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of English language globally, with more than 150 years of research behind it. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, it features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary, 2018 edition, with over 350,000 words, phrases and meanings.
• Tens of thousands of regionally specific entries reflecting the unique richness and global adaptability of the English language.
• The strength of The Oxford English Corpus' research excellence is directly presented at your fingertips.
• 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations (Premium only).
LATEST APP UPDАТES
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood of your favorite color.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With convenient Home page, more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for.
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized.
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
Get even more with PREMIUM
• Audio pronunciation - Learn words faster with the integrated pronunciations.
• Offline mode - Save words on your device and view them without internet connection.
• Priority support - Get support with priority for any app-related issues.
• No ads – Enjoy an ad-free learning experience.
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Product great, pricing deceptive
The dictionary is superior. However, the distributor, Mobisystems, seem to expect payment for the “premium” version on each iOS device on which it’s installed by the same account holder. That’s a non-starter. Until they change this deceptive practice (they mention it nowhere, and “restore purchase” functionality only works on the “original” device) and end their extortionate price levels, I’ll use it on the one device and not deal with it further. Caveat emptor. You cannot pay once and use the app on both an iPad and an iPhone.
I have changed the rating to 4 stars, because there is still some trouble getting the app to restore purchases on additional devices. It required deleting the unresponsive download and a new download and installation.
Also, to be fair, the developer did respond to my original derogatory review by email, which sat unread on an unused server for six weeks. Their instructions for restoration, clearly well-intended, were not helpful. I had to fiddle further on my own. On the basis of the app itself and the product, this deserves a 5-star rating. An app that carries the brand “Oxford” however should not be flawed in terms of fulfillment in this way, I believe. I misjudged initially. There is no deception.
The definitions are fine but the actual format is very distracting. Useful, but lacking in organization. It gets the job done, but not as well as it could. Also, the fact that you must have premium to hear the pronunciations is frustrating. Instead of adding a button which makes it look like you can hear the pronunciation, don’t put the button in at all, please. A tab coming up advertising “Get More With Premium” is more annoying than not having the sound button at all. If the website/app is harassing me to buy the full version I’m more likely to delete the obnoxious app than to buy their application. Developers, rather, could just place a banner on certain areas of the app which says something to the effect of, “See What Else You Can Get With Premium” or even the original “Get More With Premium” would suffice. Nevertheless, the free app *is* nice.
When you want the best in dictionaries you can always count on Oxford. This app is no exception. An excellent dictionary that has everything you’ll ever need!
There is one thing that happened that has completely baffled me. I created my own “folder” under the Favorites section. I had “favorited” many words and moved them into my folder. I had to shut my iPhoneX down and do a restart. When I went to the Oxford Dictionary the folder I had created “Rick’s Favorites” had disappeared. Along with the many words I had placed in it. Why would a restart wipe out the folder I had created to hold my favorite words? I’ve tried every way I know to recover the folder but to no avail. Hopefully the developer may have an idea of how I should proceed.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 233.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Oxford Dictionary of English $9.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $4.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.