Oxford Dictionary of English FREE
By MobiSystems, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The leading and most trusted single-volume English dictionary is now available for FREE!
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH FREE BETTER THAN ALL OTHER DICTIONARIES?
The Oxford Dictionary of English features:
• The most comprehensive coverage of English everywhere it’s spoken;
• The very latest vocabulary, with over 350,000 words, phrases and meanings;
• Thousands of words and sentences derived from the latest research of the Oxford English Corpus;
• 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including words with controversial or variant pronunciations.
Entirely revised and updated to include the most comprehensive and accurate picture of the English language today, Oxford Dictionary of English represents the authority of dictionary apps.
The current edition includes thousands of additional words and sentences, as well as up-to-date encyclopedic information.
Ideal for anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English; for professionals, students, academics, and for use at work or at home.
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
* Offline mode - look up words without internet connection
* Audio pronunciation - find out how to pronounce words with integrated sound
* Priority support - get expedited support for any app related issues
* No ads - no more in-app ads
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at email@example.com.
What's New in Version 8.5.6
* Voice Search - speak to enter your searches quicker (iOS 10 only), also includes Voice Search Shortcut for all devices with 3D touch technology
* Voice Over - hear the word definition of your entries (iOS 8, 9 & 10)
Sophisticated Dictionary App With Power to Spare
Since my primary "job" is as a researcher, editor, and author of college texts, dictionaries-specifically the ones that are advanced to the point that they can perform basic tasks by utilizing voice control-are my go to apps.
I was entertained by some of the naysayers and previous reviewers who "dinged" this dictionary app for reasons which made little to no sense. To all of you smart purchasers looking for an extremely powerful dictionary app, pay no attention to these reviewers behind the curtain, who obviously know very little about truly great dictionary tools. However, after using the generous free product, unleash this app's afterburner by upgrading to the premium product. You won't regret it.
The new Oxford Dictionary of English is one of the most powerful dictionary apps available. The main functions of the dictionary can be easily voice controlled with impressive power and functionality. Moreover, given that the dictionary itself is an Oxford product which is as deep, accurate, and thorough as anything I've seen, I have no reservations naming it as the best general dictionary available for the iPhone.
Recommend! Wide range of definitions.
Oxford Dictionaries always offered a wider range of defenitions and historical origins of the forementioned definitions. As a historical fiction writer, I can greatly appreciate that. The fees for the subscription online were too high for me to afford, and it's so great to receive the access to this great dictionary without need to pay. True, ads can be annoying and features like pronunciation and offline access will cost you $20, but I was pretty conent with what the free version can offer me. Recommended! Even if you decide to upgrade remember that the fee is not more than that of a cost of a physical copy, will save you time, and is a one-time pay as opposed to subscription.
An update: I have recently caught one of the 50% ($10) sales, which I believe to be a more manageable pricing for what the app has to offer. Interestingly, I am so used to the free version that I have not touched any of the unlocked premium features yet. Soon to be a year since the acquisition, and I am still loving it~!
Lots of words; very few numbers
I'm rating this four stars because it IS a very thorough list of words, for the most part. The first words I looked up were "bannister", "codex", and "stillborn", all of which were there.
However, I then went searching for "eight hundred four", which I was surprised was not represented at all. The word "eight" is, but that hardly helps when the word I need is over a hundred times that. I had equal trouble locating "eight hundred five", as well as "twelve thousand forty-two". Not a single success there.
So to be sure, this dictionary is great for people looking up mostly non-numerical words. But mathematicians look elsewhere; you will not find your numbers' definitions here.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 15, 2017
- Version: 8.5.6
- Size: 199 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Seller: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2016 MobiSystems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Oxford Dictionary of English Free IAP$19.99