The Oxford Dictionary of English is widely accepted as one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of the English language globally, with more than 150 years of research into it. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features advanced search, lookup and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary, 2018 edition, with over 350,000 words, phrases and meanings.
• Tens of thousands of regionally specific entries reflecting the unique richness and global adaptability of the English language.
• The strength of The Oxford English Corpus' research excellence, directly placed at your fingertips.
• 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations.
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics alike, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I enjoyed it until those “post a review pop-up” multiplied!
“Did you enjoy our app?” Well I did. Sure, it’s not the OED (missing those great examples and very thorough definitions), but it’s fast, it works with split screen, offline. It’s a great companion to a good editor when you want to write.
That was *until* the developer started to ask me to post a review almost systematically when I opened the app (the timer to request as you said no is set to 5mn or so)! To add insult to the injury, supposedly iOS 11 allows you to stop that kind of nonsense inside the preferences of the App Store. Nevermind that, the developers found a way to continue to pop up request you to post a review, probably through a loophole.
So here is my review: Stop bothering your core base and your loyal customers! If you were a struggling little company with ad-based app, that would perhaps be understandable. But you have very well known product, and I paid for your app!
So “Did you enjoy our app” Yes, until you could not stop asking me that. It’s becoming almost unusable given the interruptions you are adding to my workflow. If you want a better review, fix that first.
Fine dictionary but bad app experience
Please improve your search algorithm and the algorithm in general (it takes three or four times the amount of time to load up on my SE) as well as remove that stupid other apps by the developer button on the top right corner I'm sorry but how can i care less about what other apps you've developed I'm here for the bloody dictionary.
ALSO: please have a button that both RETURNS to the search bar and CLEAR the search bar
What's not to like?
They have every word I ever want to look up, which is what you'd expect from the premier English dictionary. I have the actual printed version as well, but often this is better, being more up to date. I do wish their daily word notification was a little more interesting than it usually is, though.
Developer Response ,
Hello and thank you so much for the review and rating of the Oxford English Dictionary 2018 app. We appreciate it!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.