Oxford English Vocabulary Trainer
By Oxford University Press
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Learning Technologies Awards 2016 - Silver Winner
Build your English vocabulary with the Oxford English Vocabulary Trainer, your personal English tutor from Oxford University Press.
• Choose words to learn: look up words from Oxford’s textbooks for learning English or the app's free Basic English Dictionary. (Translations into 21 languages are available as part of an in-app subscription - see details below.)
• Practise daily: the app tests your knowledge, guiding you to the right answers with personalized feedback and hints, including picture clues, definitions, anagrams and audio.
• Get instant visual feedback on spelling, grammar, meaning and word usage. Collect experience points with each answer.
• Statistics help you track your progress and show you where you are improving.
• Earn badges for extra effort and learning outcomes.
• Join a class to share information on your learning progress with your teacher.
Study key words from well-known Oxford English courses including English File, Headway, Navigate, and many others. The app also provides wordlists to improve your general English vocabulary with theEssential Vocabulary wordlist, as well as more specialised vocabulary practice including the Academic Word and Business Keywords wordlists.
Spaced repetition technology means that words are practised at the point when you are likely to forget them. This reinforces learning and helps to put words into long-term memory.
The app’s multilingual dictionary contains translations for English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Orthodox), Chinese (Simplified), Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Spanish (Latin America), Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (Spain), Swahili, Thai, Turkish, with more languages coming soon. Full access is available through in-app subscription (see details below). You can also subscribe to a specialist dictionary for studying Business English as well as a version of the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary.
Details of in-app purchases and subscriptions:
• You can buy a range of wordlists through the app. All coursebook and general vocabulary are available for one-time purchase at the prices stated in the app. You can try the first unit of any wordlist free of charge: tap on Settings / Choose Content to find content you are interested in.
• The app provides a free Basic English Dictionary. You can use this dictionary to add up to 20 words to My Words: a personal set of words that you choose and practise in the same way as a wordlist. If you want to add more words to My Words you need to buy a subscription to the Basic English Dictionary. This subscription also gives you access to translations for word meanings in the Basic English Dictionary as well as access to a version of the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. Additionally, you can subscribe to a specialist Business English Dictionary (English-English only).
• The Basic Dictionary of English and the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary plus full access to My Words and bilingual translations is available at GBP11.99 for a yearly subscription.
• The Business English Dictionary plus full access to My Words is available at GBP14.99 for a yearly subscription.
• These are the pound sterling prices. You will be charged in your local currency at the equivalent price in the store.
• Subscriptions purchased through the app will be charged to your iTunes account and will automatically renew within 24 hours of the end of the subscription period unless you turn off auto-renew. A subscription cannot be stopped during the subscription period.
• To turn off auto-renew, go to your iTunes account settings after purchase.
The app has been developed by Oxford University Press in collaboration with Alphary AG.
What's New in Version 2.4.0
- Dictionary improvements
- Multiple acceptable words in tap the word exercise
- A1-level support
- New coursebooks
- Case-sensitive login fixed
- New language (Swahili)
- Logout feature
- Minor bug fixes
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 08, 2016
- Version: 2.4.0
- Size: 104 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Oxford University Press ELT
- © 2015 Oxford University Press
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Full version$12.99
- Essential Vocabulary$4.99
- Vocab Trainer Full Version$6.99
- English File Elementary$4.99
- English File Upper-intermediate$4.99
- Topics Advanced$9.99
- English File Pre-intermediate$4.99
- Business Keywords$14.99
- Topics Beginner$9.99
- Vocabulary Practice Intermediate Plus$4.99