Oxford German Dictionary provides complete and accurate coverage of both German and English languages. Invaluable cultural notes are included, to help language professionals and students at all levels learn more about the life in German-speaking and English-speaking countries. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF GERMAN BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary (2018 edition), 320,000 words and phrases, alongside 520,000 translations.
• Comprehensive guidance on pronunciation, vowel length, and syllable stress, as well as clear distinctions between pre-reform spellings and new preferred forms.
• Essential grammatical information and language usage notes are provided for both languages.
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current German at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Updated 2018 database
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
hate being asked all the time to rate the app
I own several Oxford dictionary apps: Russian, German, Short OED -- the dictionaries are great but the interface keeps asking to rate it even though I already have already written a review. So now I'm erasing the reviews and replacing them with the one complaint: I've paid too much for this to be constantly bothered! It's equivalent to having a tip-in ad every other page of a book! How would you feel if you could't turn a page without seeing an ad or the book asking you how you like it now, and how now, and now do you still like it, and now?! Please fix the apps so they stop bothering users.
Obnoxious and intrusive
I have had this app for years. Lately, it will not let me look up a word unless I go through a screen that tells me either give the app 5 stars or rate later. I tried to go through app support, but the process is unbelievably complicated. I am totally fed up.
It is now November 26 and all three dictionaries are still blocking my looking up a word with this screen that tries to force me to rate this app 5 stars. This app does not have a working link for the app to the developer website and a generic inquiry requires inputting all sorts of personal information.
It was an expensive app when I bought it and I am now launching a formal complaint with the App Store.
Great dictionary, decent interface, pestering prompts
The dictionary is quite thorough and useful. Only rarely do I need to consult another, and this normally happens with older German. The interface is perfectly serviceable, but the app has recently begun to pester you to review it, and not on start up, but when you look up a word. Naturally I don't want to be pestered when I'm sitting down to read or study, and the frequency and invasiveness of the notifications is greater than other apps.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.