Understand the differences between similar words in written and spoken English and find the right words to say exactly what you mean – and enrich your vocabulary.
How? Each entry has a group of 3-10 synonyms.
Each synonym is clearly explained in terms of meaning, grammar, and register.
An example sentence shows how each synonym is used.
Notes highlight and explain synonyms that are particularly close in meaning or easily confused so you make the right choice.
For example, the Oxford Learner’s Thesaurus helps you understand the differences between familiar words such as 'easy' and 'simple' while learning words you may not know such as 'effortless', 'painless', and 'plain sailing'.
No two words are exactly the same. Use the Oxford Learners' Thesaurus to choose exactly the right word:
• Over 17,000 synonyms and opposites are explained
• Alphabetical index makes it easy to find the word you are looking for
• Listen to real British and American voices pronounce the words and their synonyms
• 30 pre-loaded topics contain useful word lists you can add to or edit
• Create and organize your own lists of favourite words
• Use the notes to identify the exact difference between pairs of synonyms
• See which words are used most frequently and choose the most appropriate
• Choose the words that are right for the context: formal/informal, written/spoken, approving/disapproving
• Understand which words go together and use them correctly
• ‘Did you mean…?’ function and wildcard search allow you to find a word even if you don’t know the spelling
• View your History to see the last 100 words you looked up
New feature: look up words in the Thesaurus directly from Safari
iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus support
Launch time improved
Minor bugs fixed
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve made an amazing discovery today!
Really great app that all learners should have it. 👍💪✌️
I love it
Such a great app!!!!!So amazing!!!!!Don't hesitate to buy it! It is good for u !good luck ~
It doesn't run after the update
I really regret updating this . Now it's totally useless. Please fix it !
- Oxford University Press ELT
- 189.3 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014 Oxford University Press
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.