Oyster – The Best Way to Read Books
By Studio SBV, Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Oyster is simply the best way to read.
Open the app to get access to over a million books including new releases, award-winners, indie favorites, and more. The books you get on Oyster will be synced to your app instantly and can even be read offline.
Named one of TechCrunch’s “Best Apps,” Oyster has been featured by The New Yorker, CNN, The TODAY Show, and The New York Times.
Subscribe to Oyster Unlimited to read more and save money. With Oyster Unlimited, a million books are all yours. Read as much as you'd like for one low monthly price.
Start your free trial of Oyster Unlimited today.
◇ Features ◇
• Read books from virtually every author in the world including James Patterson, Gillian Flynn, Stephen King, Anthony Doerr, Walter Isaacson, Donna Tartt, J.K. Rowling, and many, many more.
• Choose from beautifully-designed reader themes to suit every reading environment.
• Experience the best way to read at night by turning on ‘Lumin,’ only on Oyster. It replaces the blue light on your screen with a warm amber light as the sun sets.
• Get spot-on recommendations based on what you like to read.
• Read exclusive book reviews and author interviews written by our award-winning editorial team.
• Share what you’re reading to Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
• Read all of the Harry Potter books in custom themes inspired by each Hogwarts House.
• Follow friends, create Book Lists, and explore the libraries of creative and interesting people.
• Download books to any device for offline reading.
With Oyster, the world is yours for the reading.
Say hello on Twitter @Oyster.
Questions? Drop us a line at email@example.com.
What's New in Version 2.2
Picture this: It’s the end of the day, and you climb into bed and tuck yourself under the covers. You read page after page on your phone or tablet until you drift off to sleep. But the next morning, you wake up feeling groggy and tired. You might think it’s your typical book hangover (those exist, right?) but studies show that nighttime reading on screens that emit blue light can keep you awake longer and make you super tired the next morning.
We don’t want anything to stand in the way of enjoying a good book, so we set out to fix that. This release introduces a feature that makes reading at night on your phone or tablet as warm and soft as your favorite flannel sheets. It’s called Lumin and we think you’re going to love it.
◇ Features ◇
• The best way to read at night. Turn Lumin to ‘Auto’ mode and Oyster will use your location and the time of day to automatically adjust the amount of blue light coming from your screen as the sun sets and rises. Just turn it on once, add your location, and never think about it again.
• Custom Lumin mode. You can also choose to adjust your Lumin tone & temperature settings manually. Change light level based on what looks good to you, and choose from a range of lower-contrast backgrounds. Custom settings stay constant throughout the day.
• Two new (beautiful!) Reader Themes. We’ve added ‘Ace’ and ‘Highline,’ just in time for your summer rooftop and backyard reading.
Thanks for using Oyster! Tweet @Oyster to tell us your favorite book to read before bed. Questions? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not perfect, but wonderful.
I've been an Oyster subscriber for a year now, and I love it. The "Netflix for books" description is spot on. Like Netflix, it doesn't have everything you're looking for, but that's an impossible task; it is sometimes lean on the brand new releases especially. But like Netflix (and in my opinion better than), it's very easy to trip through and search around to find something very worthwhile that one may have never been introduced to otherwise. I've already come across several authors whose work I had never heard of, but found their catalogs very rewarding. Add in all of the biographies, historical reads, humor and volumes of information on almost any topic you can think of (like a friend's ADHD and sensory issues), and it's really a fairly exhaustive tool. If you read and you have somewhat eclectic tastes, you'll never go bored.
Previous to downloading Oyster, 99% of my reading was done on the nook app, but after I spent my $50 birthday gift card in a month and decided I needed a better book reading method. Oyster app works wonderfully- and the addition of Lumin really counteracts my bright iPhone screen for easy reading before bed. It's really easy to find and read whatever you want, and to discard books that aren't to your liking. I haven't found a problem with it yet! I meant to only keep it for the summer only, as I'm a college student who shouldn't be spending on books that AREN'T textbooks but.... I already know I'm going to be keeping it. It's a fantastic app and I'm very satisfied.
Loving It As Always
I have been an avid reader my entire life. I read on average at least three or four books a week when I am not busy. When Netlix became a go to for streaming, I have always wished there was a book version of it. And tada! I have been subscribing to the aptly named Oyster when it first came out on iPhone. I have it on my phone and my tablet.
Now, instead of buying a bunch of books from thrifts stores, I can read unlimited books with, and even read them offline with no signal. Sure, nothing can beat reading the fashioned way. But with Oyster, you can put it in your pocket and read in the dark.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: Jun 17, 2015
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 34.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Studio SBV, Inc
- © 2015 Studio SBV, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- 3-month Oyster Premium credit$42.99
- 6-month Oyster Premium credit$84.99
- 1-year Oyster Premium credit$159.99