Oyster – The Best Way to Read Books
By Studio SBV, Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Oyster is simply the best way to read.
Open the app to get access to over a million books including new releases, award-winners, indie favorites, and more. The books you get on Oyster will be synced to your app instantly and can even be read offline.
Named one of TechCrunch’s “Best Apps,” Oyster has been featured by The New Yorker, CNN, The TODAY Show, and The New York Times.
Subscribe to Oyster Unlimited to read more and save money. With Oyster Unlimited, a million books are all yours. Read as much as you'd like for one low monthly price.
Start your free trial of Oyster Unlimited today.
◇ Features ◇
• Read books from virtually every author in the world including James Patterson, Gillian Flynn, Stephen King, Anthony Doerr, Walter Isaacson, Donna Tartt, J.K. Rowling, and many, many more.
• Choose from beautifully-designed reader themes to suit every reading environment.
• Experience the best way to read at night by turning on ‘Lumin,’ only on Oyster. It replaces the blue light on your screen with a warm amber light as the sun sets.
• Get spot-on recommendations based on what you like to read.
• Read exclusive book reviews and author interviews written by our award-winning editorial team.
• Share what you’re reading to Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
• Read all of the Harry Potter books in custom themes inspired by each Hogwarts House.
• Follow friends, create Book Lists, and explore the libraries of creative and interesting people.
• Download books to any device for offline reading.
With Oyster, the world is yours for the reading.
Say hello on Twitter @Oyster.
Questions? Drop us a line at email@example.com.
What's New in Version 2.2.1
When we think summer, we think of one thing: summer reading. OK, we also think about digging our feet into the sand, getting a tan (don’t worry we’re wearing SPF 45!), and long days in the hammock, but let’s be honest—it’s all better with a good book.
To celebrate summer, we’re asking you to share books you’re reading from the app to Twitter or Instagram with #ReadAllSummer. We’re giving away everything from totes to posters, tank tops, and even a free year of Oyster!
Looking for a new book to read this summer?
◇ Features ◇
• We’ve added a ton of new books to Unlimited! You’ll notice a bunch of new titles from Macmillan in this update.
• Have you ever wanted to be able to see when a book is coming to Unlimited? Now, we’ll let you know the exact date a book is moving to Unlimited.
Thanks for using Oyster! Tweet @Oyster to share the books you are reading with #ReadAllSummer. Questions? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Five stars for function four stars for selection
Search engine needs work as it turns up bizarre selections and it's hard to search within a category. But reading is a pleasure with full offline access for plane rides etc. fun to be able to start reading whatever I'm in the mood for. Sad that often things I'm looking for aren't here, but choice is huge despite that.
Update: search has somewhat improved. So far I'm not a fan of the buying books option. Some subscribers seem confused by that, but you can still read oodles of books for your subscription price. Unlike the Kindle where you can download a purchased book to your dedicated device, I'm not convinced of long term access to purchased books. Plus the whole idea of Oyster is to pay once. Functionality continues to be terrific. occasional crashes are fixed literally in seconds and the reading interface is fantastic. Lumen is a great addition to make reading yourself to sleep more likely.
I've used this app for about a year, through several updates. They continue to improve functionality, and increase the selection. I use it daily. I highly recommend it if you love to read a large variety of authors. If you have a specific author in mind, you probably won't have free access to all of his/her work. The selection of children's books is more limited and it's not as easy to browse as adult books. The children's section of a physical library is significantly different than the adult section. It would be nice if the app was revamped to make the children's section more accessible to children. It would also be good if the algorithm would be improved to only recommend age-appropriate books based on the current book. For example, if I read my child a picture book about animals, it's not appropriate to be recommended an adult mystery about the murder of a family pet.
Love Reading on Oyster
Worth the money if you like to read on a regular basis. I read 3-4 books a month, in the last year I've saved about $200 with the Oyster subscription. I've discovered several great authors I never knew existed. It has a free unlimited filter if you do not want to view the "to purchase" books. It's very easy to find books. My favorite feature is "Lumin" -- the book screen background color & wording is adjustable and heaven to my eyes! The kid selection needs improvement. Don't be disappointed, you won't find new books or all the well known authors but for every book you don't find, there is 20 more that are just as good, maybe better!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: Jul 10, 2015
- Version: 2.2.1
- Size: 39.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Studio SBV, Inc
- © 2015 Studio SBV, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- 3-month Oyster Premium credit$42.99
- 6-month Oyster Premium credit$84.99
- 1-year Oyster Premium credit$159.99