Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Create gorgeous documents in minutes with the all-new Pages for Mac word processor — featuring a stunning new design, new writing tools, and improved performance. Start with an Apple-designed template or create your own design using fonts, styles, and tools from the intelligent Format Panel. Easily add images, movies, charts, and more. And use change tracking, comments, and highlights to review your work.
With iCloud, your documents are kept up to date across all your devices. You can instantly share a document using just a link, giving others the latest version and the ability to edit it directly with Pages for iCloud from www.icloud.com using a Mac or PC browser. And with a new unified file format across Mac, iOS, and web, your documents are consistently beautiful everywhere you open them.
Whatever you write, Pages puts powerful tools at your fingertips. So you can create great-looking, media-rich documents in minutes.
Get started quickly
• Choose from over 60 Apple-designed templates to instantly create beautiful reports, resumes, cards, and posters
• Simplified toolbar gives you quick access to shapes, media, tables, charts, and sharing options
• The new Format Panel automatically updates based on selection
• Import and edit Microsoft Word documents and plain text files
• Turn on Coaching Tips for guided in-app help
Create beautiful documents
• Format your document with gorgeous styles, fonts, and textures
• Easily update and reorder styles using the new Format Panel
• Use auto-text wrap to flow text around images
• Create and view impressive 2D, 3D, and interactive charts
• Insert photos, music, and video with the Media Browser
• Use powerful graphics tools including Instant Alpha and masking
• Use gorgeous preset styles to make your text, tables, shapes, and images look beautiful
• Edit down to the pixel with the ruler, alignment guides, and powerful graphics tools
• A new unified file format on Mac, iOS, and the web makes documents work seamlessly across platforms
Advanced writing tools
• Turn on change tracking to mark up a document as you edit it
• Use comments and highlights to share ideas and feedback with others
• Show and hide change tracking and comments on mouse-over
• Create footnotes and endnotes and view word counts with character, paragraph, and page counts
• Automatic list making and spell checking
• Seamless integration with MathType* and EndNote* for inserting equations and citations
• Advanced typography features including smart quotes and ligatures
• Easy setup for headers, footers, and document body
• Turn on iCloud so your documents are automatically available on your Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and iCloud.com
• Access and edit your documents from a Mac or PC browser at www.icloud.com with Pages for iCloud
• Pages automatically saves your documents as you make changes
Share your work
• Use AirDrop to send your document to anyone nearby
• Quickly and easily share a link to your work via Mail, Messages, Twitter, or Facebook
• Anyone with the shared document link will always have access to the latest version of the document and can edit it with you at iCloud.com
• Export your document in ePub, Microsoft Word, and PDF format
• Print wirelessly with AirPrint, including page range selection, number of copies, and two-sided printing
* MathType and EndNote both sold separately. EndNote integration requires a plug-in available from Pages support link.
Some features may require Internet access; additional fees and terms may apply.
Pages does not include support for some Chinese, Japanese, or Korean (CJK) text input features such as vertical text.
What's New in Version 5.6.1
• Resolves an issue where some Microsoft Word documents would not open
• Resolves an issue that sometimes prevented use of Look Up for words in lists
• Additional bug fixes
• Stability and performance improvements
Other recent improvements:
• Multitask while editing using new Split View in El Capitan
• Open Pages ’08 and ’06 documents
• Shared Pages documents can now be previewed on iOS and Android browsers
• Force click images and get haptic feedback as you edit using Force Touch trackpad
• New Apple-designed templates: ePub, Kids Certificate, Classic Certificate, School Newsletter
• Easily access recently used fonts in the Fonts menu
• Enhanced support for OpenType font features like small caps, contextual fractions, alternate glyphs, and more
• View Collections, Moments, Favorites, and Shared Albums from Photos in the Media Browser
• Add reference lines to charts
• Create table, chart, and shape styles from an image
• Add and review comments with VoiceOver
• Track changes with VoiceOver
• Edit chart data and chart elements with VoiceOver
“Good”, but not great
I am a college student and I constantly use my MacBook to take notes in class. I also have Microsoft Word 2011 installed in addition to Apple’s Pages. I tried to use both, but unfortunately Microsoft Word reigns far supreme when it comes to taking notes. I have found major difficulties using the tab key to create indents and I must resort to using my trackpad to make adjustments when it comes to spacing and indenting. When using Microsoft Word, I hate to say this as this doesn’t usually apply to Microsoft products, but it was far more intuitive for taking notes. I love Pages, and it certainly is the best for creating beautiful, artful documents like the ones featured in the screenshots provided on the Mac App Store, but for everyday use, especially nottaking use, Pages is far too complex and time consuming for someone who wants to jot things down fast and make them look nice for later.
Word is awful for artwork, though. Alignment guides are over-stressed in Microsoft’s word processor, and Pages makes working with images and styled text much easier. I would definitely recommend Pages for certain uses, and Word for others.
Do not buy Pages
I have used Pages as my primary word processing software since it first came out, but this latest update has ruined the program. Apple removed many features, such as the ease with which you can insert a bookmark, and made it very difficult to make other edits, such as cell size in a table. It is a poor product from a company that bills itself as elegant, user-friendly, and smart. Thousands of people have complained about these changes, and Apple has not addressed them.
Microsft has smartly reduced the price of its Office Suite, so maybe Apple has thrown in the towel and decided not to compete. The company’s utter silence regarding user complaints sends just as loud a message as any press release. Apple doesn’t really care that it is selling a subpar word processing program.
I say all of this as a loyal Apple customer who has used the company’s hardware and software since 1985, and I have been so satisfied with Apple products that I never had cause to complain. This, however, is my first complaint, which is an indication of how pitiful a product I believe Pages has become, and how pitiful Apple has become for not fixing it.
I like it
I’m not a power user, and while there are some features that I miss, I actually rather like using this new version. It feels very smooth and natural compared to MS Word (which too has it’s merits but feels clunky at times).
But don’t let me sway you. Read the other reviews and decided whether the upgrade will work for you or if you’d like to remain on the old version. When you upgrade it actually saves you old app to /Applications/iWork ’09 so you can still use it, but for some reason my full screen mode in ‘09 doesn’t work right on El Capitan so I haven used it anymore since then.
So far one thing that I really miss is not being able to set the program's background color when in fullscreen mode like we used to be able to in Pages 09 but this in no big deal.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Nov 11, 2015
- Version: 5.6.1
- Size: 224 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 2005-2015 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.10.4 or later