By Sean M Puckett
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top 10 photography iPad app in 16 countries including the US and Canada! See why 20,000 artists & designers love Paintbook!
Paintbook 3.2.2 is the most recent version of this acclaimed vector-based drawing, painting and design tool.
Here's what you get (all functions on both iPhone & iPad):
- Line, smart draw, filled shape modes
- Carve and Sculpt filled shapes any time
- 100% vector-based drawing engine for unlimited zoom and rotation
- Pigment and Ink media simulation, plus erasing
- Twelve brush pads let you switch styles easily
- Intelligent curve smoothing algorithm for smoothness
- Snap to grid and straight line mode for diagrams/architecture
- 0.1mm to 100mm brush widths, with variable opacity
- Filled regions, plus gradients, with just a swipe of your hand
- Advanced colour palette wheel with preset natural colours
- Colour adjusters let you access any hue/value/intensity
- Eyedropper sampling of one layer, all layers, or just photos
- Eyedropper can activate on every stroke for easy tracing
- Palette colour mixer/blender makes shading trivial
Stroke Editing - NEW in Paintbook 3.2
* Edit the points that make up your strokes/shapes
* Add/move/delete control points
* Smart curve smoothing makes editing simpler
* Move, resize, rotate shapes in-place
* Change brushes, colours, sizes anytime.
Typography Tools - NEW in 3.2
- Add text objects to your sketches
- Create signs, notes, captions, LOLcats, etc
- Sizes from 1 to 1000 points
- Left/right/center/size-to-fit justification
- Paragraph support for longer texts
- Adjustable line spacing, too
Image Tools - NEW in 3.2
- Upgrade from dedicated image layers
- No hard limit to number of images
- Rotate, resize, replace images easily
- Bring-to-front lets you reorder images, text, shapes
- No limit to number of drawing layers
- Manipulate brightest/contrast/warmth/vibrance of ANY layer
- Layer transparency and visibility
- Drag, move, resize any layer with a touch of the finger
- Copy and merge drawing layers for advanced effects
- Drag and drop layer reordering
- Import layers from other sketches ("clip art")
- Add photo layers from camera or photo album instantly!
- Create drawings based on real units: inches or centimetres
- Easily resize and switch your sketch from portrait/landscape
- Move, zoom and rotate your sketch on the paper any time
- Grid overlay for more precise lines and sketch layout
- Zoom in and rotate your sketch to any level, no limit
- Actual Size mode, plus rotation restrictions for drafting
- Create massive amounts of detail with pure vector drawing
- Super fast sketch navigation uses OpenGL
- Draw as fast as you want, you'll never overspeed Paintbook
- Full iPhone/iPad touch functionality: nothing's missing!
- Left-handed mode reverses icons to reduce reach-over
- True undo/redo (20 steps) for any action
- Organise your sketches into different books
- Create as many books as you need
- Drag and drop your sketches to change order and change books
- Copy/duplicate sketches to explore variations
- Easily manage hundreds of sketches
- Transfer sketches from one iOS device to another
PDF Book Creation
- Create multi-page PDF books from within Paintbook
- Print-ready PDFs can be sent to iBooks or other apps
- Advanced layout options for margins, duplexing, and covers!
Ultra-high resolution JPEG and PDF exports
- Create ultra-detailed JPEG images up to 16 megapixels
- Create PDFs for high resolution printing or desktop editing
- Send JPEG or PDF books/pages to other apps like iBooks
Paintbook is a professional-grade tool
- An App Store veteran, and still being developed
- First released March 2009, now at version 3.2.2
- Countless hours of polishing and perfection
READ THE ACTUAL ONLINE HELP TO LEARN MORE
Get Paintbook now and start creating!
What's New in Version 3.2.2
Primarily a maintenance / retina / 4" screen support release.
* Miscellaneous bug fixes
* API change updates
* Fix offscreen toolbar problem.
* New Retina-ready icons.
* Support for 4" screens.
Regrettably Paintbook now requires IOS 5.0+
Exactly what I have been looking for!
I got this long ago, but packed it off my iPad. My drawings have extremely fine detail and I have been frustrated with the brushes in almost every app. I reloaded Paintbook -- WOW!!! I am re-inspired again. The interface has all the controls one expects, but nicely hidden when one is drawing. It has notebooks to sort and store work. It even has a nice option for "clip art". One can store bits of ideas or reusable items here. It was a bit tricky for me to figure out how to store some png files from outside Paintbook into the clip book, but so handy to have them stored once I got them there.
Great painting app. I heartily recommend it!
blending/no reply/no upgrade
I have used this app exclusively of 4 years and recently had to stop. The reason is the blends do not transfer out in PDF format without banding. Other tools commonly found in other apps and not available. Copy/cut/paste for example. It has taken me weeks to edit and correct this issue in many of my pictures. Additionally the developer has failed to reply to emails or upgrade this product in years. I love this app but am not able to continue.
The video tutorial needs work.
The video, done by the app developer, is heavy on technique but lousy for showing the artistry possible. His drawing looks like a 3rd grader, which does little to "sell" the app. He would be well served to hire an artist who can quickly show the *art* that is possible. Ending with a nice drawing produced by your app might sell more of them.
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Mar 05, 2013
- Version: 3.2.2
- Size: 2.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Sean Puckett
- © Copyright 2013 Sean M Puckett
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.