Parabola is a quarterly magazine whose aim is to invigorate, investigate and share spiritual and religious thought, practice and traditions. The Society for the Study of Myth and Tradition is a not-for-profit organization devoted to the dissemination and exploration of materials relating to the myths, symbols, rituals, and art of the world's religious and cultural traditions. To this end, the Society is the publisher of Parabola Magazine.
What is a Parabola?
A parabola is one of the most elegant forms in nature. Every path made by a thrown ball, every spout of water from a fountain, and every graceful arch of steel cables in a suspension bridge is a parabola.
The parabola represents the epitome of a quest. As stated in our first issue, it is "a curving line that sails outward and returns with a new expansion—and perhaps a new content, like the flung net of a Japanese fisherman." It is the metaphorical journey to a particular point, and then back home, along a similar path perhaps, but in a different direction, after which the traveler is essentially, irrevocably changed.
Parabolas have an unusual and useful property: as in a satellite dish, all parallel beams of energy (e.g., light or radio waves) reflect on the parabola's face and gather at one point. That point is called the focus. In a similar way, each issue of Parabola has its own focus: one of the timeless themes of human existence.
Please note that the Society is not a membership organization; that is, you cannot "join," other than by contributing financially or by enjoying our articles, services and events.
Parabola Magazine purchase options:
Single Issue - $5.99 (no automatic renewal)
1 Year Subscription - $19.99 (automatically renewed until cancelled)
- When purchasing through iTunes your account will be charged at confirmation of purchase.
- Your subscription will auto-renew unless you turn this off 24 hours before the subscription runs out. You can turn off auto-renewal at any time from your iTunes account settings.
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
Tap lock icon to login OR tap money icon and circular arrow to restore previous purchases.
- Native iPhone X family compatibility
- Added New Menu: Allows quick access to all views in the app from the Issue Gallery (Hub).
- iOS 11 & 12 compatibility updates
- Minor bug fixes and stability enhancements
Ratings and Reviews
Very annoying/ frustrating
I am caught in the tortuous loop. On my iPhone: download app, Login, attempt to download current issue, spinning wheel, pop up asking me to pay, login again, attempt to download, spinning wheel, pop up asking me to log in, delete app, reinstall app, login, attempt to download issue, spinning wheel, pop up asking me to pay.... I must be insane because I've tried the above 3 times now. And still I can't gain access. Need to cancel and get refund.
Purchased subscription but magazine never finishes loading
Very frustrating. I have a print subscription but there is no way to access digital without purchasing it again. I love the magazine so much I decided to purchase it anyway but it never loads. Just continues to ask for verification and circles back to "buy". Very frustrating app.
No Content, just sales of the mag
This was disappointing. I thought there would be some real content. This app is merely a way for them to sell the e-version of the mag.
- SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF MYTH AND TRADITION INC
- 31.4 MB
Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Reserved
- In-App Purchases
- Parabola Digital Edition Annual Subscription $19.99
- Parabola Digital Edition Spring 2015 $5.99
- Parabola Digital Edition Spring 2016 $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.