By Richard Lawler
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
★★★★★ iPad version - FREE! ★★★★★
★★★★★ "A 'must-have' for the iPad"
★★★★★ Also check out PatternMusic for the iPhone and iPod touch
Create compelling, original music on your iPad™ with PatternMusic® MXXIV. PatternMusic was designed to inspire creativity, learning and experimentation in music enthusiasts and experts alike.
PatternMusic is three music tools in one:
• Create songs intuitively using layered instrument patterns.
• Play an interactive polyphonic musical instrument with over 50 different voices.
• Jam along with your iPod® Music Library without leaving the app.
"PatternMusic is like a beatbox for melodies."
"I've been using PatternMusic to write a song every day!"
"I'm a musician, but I've never been able to figure this stuff out before. This is amazing! Who knew?"
- comments from PatternMusic users
What's inside PatternMusic:
• The Stage
- Intuitively mix and arrange your songs by moving instrument icons.
- Effortlessly add, duplicate and delete instruments.
• Multi-Touch™ Pattern Editor
- Easily create unique looping note patterns.
- Editor zoom - because not everyone has the same size fingers.
- Up to 64 notes per pattern via the scrolling timeline.
- Scroll through a 4 octave range for each instrument.
- Solo mode - focus on a single part of your composition.
- Dynamics for individual notes.
- 50 instrument voices to choose from.
- Change voices at any time.
- A full drum kit and percussion set.
• Built-in Help and Tutorials
- A complete Help system is accessible throughout the app.
- Access built-in and on-line Video Tutorials without leaving the app.
• Instrument and Song Settings
- Tempo (including "tap tempo" for interactive tempo matching).
- Time Signature
- Scales - work within a mode and avoid "wrong" notes. (more than 40 scales available)
- Note length configurable from 1/16 note triplets to dotted whole notes.
- Looping control - infinite or counted.
- Configurable instrument start point.
- Swing - create shuffle effects.
- Transpose - up or down up to two octaves (an 8 octave total range).
• Song Management
- Auto-save - PatternMusic automatically saves your songs when you quit or when you are interrupted by a phone call, and it automatically restores your last session when you return.
- Manage your songs including song duplicate, rename and delete.
• Play along with your iPod Music
- iPod Music Library access and control without leaving the app.
• Small app download - you'll be creating music in no time.
Visit www.PatternMusic.com for
- Demo videos,
- Tutorial lessons,
- and answers to all your questions.
PatternMusic is a U.S. registered trademark of Richard Lawler
Copyright Richard Lawler.
Powerful and easy
This is a great app that I will gladly pay for, but its free.
It has lots of great sequencing options including volume adjustment for each note, which is great for accents on drum, and "swing" settings, which let you adjust the timing to be a bit before, or after, the beat, and decide whether that applies to all notes, or just the off beats. This is really powerful for sequencing world music beats.
Playback is also powerful and easy because you can drag each instrument or part higher or lower on the screen to raise and lower the volume for that part, and drag left or right to pan it from the left to the right speaker. Really great for putting together and taking apart complicated beats to see how everything fits in, to hear clusters of parts, and to practice along by silencing the part that you want to play.
This app is great for writing the kind of music you would want to use in creating a game or educational program. You can write a few bars and just let it repeat in the background to set the mood or tone you're looking for.
As a musician, I found it easy to figure out just playing with it a little bit, and the app provides a tutorial if you're struggling with it at all.
As a fellow iPad developer, I have a few user interface suggestions.
-First, in the percussion and drum instrument groups, I would suggest making the individual instrument labels more permanent (not appearing only when you place a note) so that it is easier to figure out where they are.
-Second, I would suggest making the area around the lefthand menu bar wider - I had a hard time scrolling the piano keyboard without activating the "next instrument" button. Alternatively, allow scrolling directly on the keyboard itself.
-Third, it would be VERY nice to have a way to export music as MP3 or other audio file. I got around this by hooking up a male-to-male mini audio cable between the headphone jack on the iPad and a mic input on my audio recorder.
Thanks for creating a very productive app!
amazing, but bug *UPDATE*
Everyone needs this app, it's really fun and easy.
One bug I noticed though was that after changing the instrument for one and then changing it again the specific instrument stopped making sound even though the notes were there. To fix it I just erased all the notes and replaced them.
1) A way to change the length of each note. There is not consistency between instruments. Some notes are long and some are short, and I'd like to be able to set the length myself.
2) Drum sequences sound strange sometimes, there's no way to get off-beatish notes. Hard to explain
3) I'd like to be able to sequence my sequences. Right now, I'd have to duplicate the instrument numerous times to get it to play multiple times.
4) Like #3, current way to choose how long an instrument plays/when it comes in is difficult, and I'd like a better interface. Instruments can only start once and stop once.
5) Export to MP3/midi if possible?
6) Have a set length of the song. A point where it is over.
7) Like another reviewer said, labels on the the drum/percussion instruments.