By Richard Lawler
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
★★★★★ Also available: PatternMusic MXXIV for iPad
Create compelling, original music on your iPhone® or iPod touch® with PatternMusic®. PatternMusic was designed to inspire creativity, learning and experimentation in music enthusiasts and experts alike.
PatternMusic is three music tools in one:
• Create songs intuitively using layered instrument patterns.
• Play an interactive polyphonic musical instrument with over 50 different voices.
• Jam along with your iPod® Music Library without leaving the app.
"PatternMusic is like a beatbox for melodies."
"I've been using PatternMusic to write a song every day!"
"I'm a musician, but I've never been able to figure this stuff out before. This is amazing! Who knew?"
- comments from app testers
What's inside PatternMusic:
• The Stage
- Intuitively mix and arrange your songs by moving instrument icons.
- Effortlessly add, duplicate and delete instruments.
• Multi-Touch™ Pattern Editor
- Easily create unique looping note patterns.
- Editor zoom - because not everyone has the same size fingers.
- Up to 64 notes per pattern via the scrolling timeline.
- Scroll through a 4 octave range for each instrument.
- Solo mode - focus on a single part of your composition.
- Dynamics for individual notes.
- 50 instrument voices to choose from.
- Change voices at any time.
- A full drum kit and percussion set.
• Built-in Help and Tutorials
- A complete Help system is accessible throughout the app.
- Access built-in and on-line Video Tutorials without leaving the app.
• Instrument and Song Settings
- Tempo (including "tap tempo" for interactive tempo matching).
- Time Signature
- Scales - work within a mode and avoid "wrong" notes. (more than 40 scales available)
- Note length configurable from 1/16 note triplets to dotted whole notes.
- Looping control - infinite or counted.
- Configurable instrument start point.
- Swing - create shuffle effects.
- Transpose - up or down up to two octaves (an 8 octave total range).
• Song Management
- Auto-save - PatternMusic automatically saves your songs when you quit or when you are interrupted by a phone call, and it automatically restores your last session when you return.
- Manage your songs including song duplicate, rename and delete.
• Play along with your iPod Music
- iPod Music Library access and control without leaving the app.
• Small app download - you'll be creating music in no time.
Visit www.PatternMusic.com for
- Demo videos,
- Tutorial lessons,
- and answers to all your questions.
PatternMusic is a U.S. registered trademark of Richard Lawler
Copyright Richard Lawler.
I have been using this specifically to build awkward metronome patters that a standard metronome will not, or at least none that I've found, let you do. It lets you choose between 3/4 4/4 and 5/4 but also it gives the option to set phrases or patters from 1-64 notes in all of the stand fractional counts. For instance I have a pattern in 15 that has 15 notes in 5/4 and accents on the particular beats that I want. Very useful for a drummer or other musician that practices to custom accenting patterns. Also super easy to use, almost like fruity loops. Decent sounds, not great but good enough for what I'm doing, actually just what I've been looking for. Much easier than turning on the pro tools, and good for the road.
Kind of Amazing
I expected this app to be like a mini-metronome or something. To my surprise and delight, Pattern Music is a full-featured music building program. Sure, it CAN serve as a metronome, but it's a full-featured one, with dotted half-notes and looping patterns. And that's just scratching the surface. Start adding some instruments, layer by layer, and Pattern Music allows you to build a sophisticated passage, sort of like a pocket-sized version of Garage Band (with a few less features, mind you!). I use it to play around with melodies, to build accompaniments, and yes, to noodle around with. All-in-all, I couldn't be more impressed. This one's well worth a look no matter where you are on your musical journey.
I love this app! It starts with an excellant idea, and applies the idea in a creative and effective manner. It's a little difficult to figure out in the beginning, but once you play around with it, you get used to how the application funtions and can begin to really enjoy it (definetely choose to watch the tutorial when you first launch the app). The one improvement that I would like to see is the ability to view all the instruments in pattern editing mode at the same time. It would be very helpful to have a visual display of how all the different layers interact with each other. It would look really neat to see a color-coded "master plan" of all my projects!