Patterns - The Regex App
By Nikolai Krill
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Patterns is a simple yet powerful tool for working with regular expressions. Build great patterns quickly and effortlessly with syntax coloring and with matching and replacing occurring in real time.
- Regular expression syntax coloring makes it easy to see how your pattern is interpreted by the regex engine. No more confusion about what needs to be escaped.
- See matches and replacements in real time while you edit your pattern.
- Copy match and replacement code snippets of your pattern for quick use in a number of different programming languages.
- The built-in regular expression reference sheet helps you find the piece of regex syntax you need.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
Version 1.0.1 is a bug fix release addressing quite a few issues, including:
- Reference sheet scrolling issues
- Other general fixes and improvements
It would get 5 stars IF...
It didn’t have a character limit constraint for the regular expression. Yep, I have complicated expressions that exceed the character limit that I was rushing to this app to troubleshoot. Can’t. Please update the app to support like 10,000 character limit or something on regexes or no limit at all. Thanks. Oh! With “Free Spacing”, please allow comments with the # tag and allow the ability that if you paste in a regex when the “Free Spacing” is checked, to paste in with the newlines, spaces, and tabs (whitespace characters) intact instead of interpolating them and adding them as regex special characters \n\t\s resepectively. Thanks!
Best experience I've had on helpers like this
I have tried numerous online regexp validation schemes, with very poor results. Imagine my surprise when within 5 minutes I had the answer to a usage that I had spent hours on, and still only had partial success. A greatly simplified regsub expression actually did what I was trying to do with something more complicated. The feedback is great for errors, and the response time is instantaneous for the result. Nice helpmate on one of the hardest to understand parts of coding. It's in my dock now.
Clean, efficient local development
I use CodeRunner for my PHP development; it's really made a difference for me being able to try my scripts out in small chunks of test files, without having to worry about having a web server available. I can just point CodeRunner to any of my existing script files, or create special test files, and I'm off and running. The interface is clean and nice-looking; it's responsive and seems quite stable. I highly recommend it.